Should we do a better job at explaining why we monitor fires, or suppress them immediately?

Those are in Yosemite, sequoia, and kings canyon.

1 Like

Allow me to get on my soap box

1. This problem is not 30, 40, or 50 years old. It started in 1910 after the Big Blow Up and the 10am rule. Over the last 110+ years bad decisions upon bad decisions, upon political decisions have been made. Thinking $500 million is going to solve this problem just compounds the problem.

2. That problem I just referenced is a lack of Historical Knowledge, perspective and the political will to be honest with the public and not try to use KNOWLEDGE & POWER as a political weapon. Example 1 is Covid-19. I’ll rest my case

3. NONE of us participating in this discussion is doing it with a Modem, Dial Up internet, a corded phone, or even a flip phone. We are doing it, in some cases with more technology power, in the plam of our hands than used to land Neil Armstrong on the Moon.

4. Gone are the days of “It takes time to gain experience” while that statement is still true. Who here still has a current set of Encyclopedia Britannica and uses it for research? No we use Google, Bing, Duck Duck GO for INSTANT information. We have taught our children this. I have seen preschoolers with Iphones get more information(GOOD & BAD) than their 30-40 something parents can get. Keep in mind the Smart phone is 15yr old. This problem started over 100yr ago and in the last 15yr society has actually gotten dumber and lazier.

5. “Don’t come to me with problems, come to me with solutions” I repeat that quote to my FF everywhere. Hopefully they are learning something.

6. “if you want to solve the problem, throwing grenades from the outside will get you nothing” Let’s face it, how many of us want to promote, do what it takes to promote? Too promote you have to drink some of the Kool aid. It’s easier to sit behind a keyboard and Pontificate and complain. Instead of dedication, time, and sacrifice of one’s personal life to see something through.

7. Restating the obvious “Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20” a decision was made on July 4th about the priority of the fire. Want to learn how to “Rob Peter to pay Paul” go work in a dispatch center with a heavy call load. Dispatch a 2 alarm fire, then get 3-4 911 Medical aids and strip the fire dispatch for the medical aids. See how long it takes to replace those resources on the original dispatch THAT IS A CONFIRMED FIRE.

Ever heard the phrase “You go to war with the Army you got, not the Army you want”. This problem didn’t start overnight, nor will it.be fixed in the last 15yr of my career. However, I will take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for my actions. Sadly in America, in 2021 personal responsibility is an ENDANGERED SPECIES.

Stepping off my soap box.:rofl: Have a great weekend, Stay Safe, Maintain your SA, the weather is about to “get sporty” in California and it’s not even August. Do what you can, with what you have, and make sure you take care of yourself and your crews. You haven’t experienced “Oh Crap” till you have your own personal 100 acre lighting fire, in a lighting complex and dispatch says “No Resources are available. Do the best you can”

14 Likes

If you don’t have good evidence to support your statement please don’t make it, I have friends who were there and tried to save the resort and cabins but that fire crowned as it was heading for those buildings.

I had friends on the fire that were turned away the first day right after reported. And Air units waved off. And FF’S commenting later that dozers went unused, areas that should have been protected better weren’t . etc.
These were green boots. And some retired red ones.
Be Safe, SA.
Thanks for all you do.

3 Likes

The dozers could have been used around Dardanelle and they had good air for helicopter use which would have helped alot but instead opted to rely ground crews which trying to clear what they could around structures. They opted to let the fire come to them and it came to them on its own terms unfortunately and put them at risk.

3 Likes

Regarding CA-KNP-Lost, per Inciweb:

This is a full-suppression fire… fire personnel are utilizing a confine and contain strategy while also looking for opportunities for both direct and indirect containment actions

2 Likes

“Don’t understand how resource sharing works”…
That’s why during one of the driest years on record in California, letting a fire burn shows a complete lack of foresight. What do we do for resources now that the tamarack fire is totally out of control and threatening towns? What about the resources needed for life safety now that could be used elsewhere?
The good news is that very soon there won’t be any forest left and wild land fires will be a thing of the past.

3 Likes

“Risking the health of underpaid forestry technicians “…
How would you rate the risk now, with a fast moving, intense heat, pyrocumulus/collapsing pyrocumulus beast, vs. 1/4 acre low intensity surrounded by granite, yada, yada, yada hike into or chopper in fire?
Every fire has the potential to destroy and take human life. This particular (tamarack fire) has thousandfold the potential harm to the health of underpaid forestry technicians than it did two days ago.

3 Likes

Good evidence of this is taking a look at SPI land. One can drive through the forest and know exactly where private timber land begins and ends. These areas also do not experience the high intensity when fire starts, or burns into them.
Yes, “we” made an uninformed mistake many years ago. The solution, however, is not to just let fire return unfettered into the ecosystem. “We” modified the ecosystem to a point where fire is way to dangerous and destructive. Until the forest is manually returned to pre-suppression condition, incidents like this will continue to occur. The high fuel loading and extremely hot fires do not leave a viable environment for regrowth, only thicker, more volatile brush species that will reburn every couple years.

5 Likes

Sorry, but that’s not true at all.
SPI lost 40,000 acres of their prime timberlands around Feather Falls in one afternoon last fall.
They lost thousands of acres in the 2014 King Fire.
They lost thousands of acres in the 2018 Camp, Carr, and Hirz Fires.
And at least 15% of the clearcuts they have done in the past 20 years have had to be replanted because of destruction by wildfire.
As far as manually returning the forests to a pre-suppression condition, good luck with that.

7 Likes

No one said it won’t burn pyro, but it doesn’t burn like the fed. Plain and simple facts from boots on the actual ground

1 Like

But additionally, when the SPI does burn, they actually go back and reforest it. The fed doesn’t do that either so nothing but grease fuel grows back for the next time. Like I said before, everyone sees whats going on and the public is over it. No matter what the feds tell themselves it doesn’t change reality

1 Like

Facts are what they are, show me your data, name the divisions and fires you are talking about.
The extreme flammability of many of Califorina’s private timberlands is one of the reasons we can’t actually manage fires on public land. Our biggest fires past few years are equal-opportunity destroyers, but slash-filled tree farms burn like the sun.

9 Likes

Thanks Pyro. I find you to be a constant voice of reason. If I remember correctly, didn’t we have a similar controversial fire move through the Woodfords area in the late 1980’s. I drove over Hwy. 4 on 7/7/21 and there was no smoke to be seen. This is tough country.

4 Likes

Well I guess if I worked for the feds we could all be on the same team in the same bliss together

1 Like

I think what I have learned my my career is that the condition of our woods (public and private) is messed up way beyond our ability to fix it. The longer we pretend this isn’t the case, the worse-off things get. It’s like Tumbleweed’s post - we need to tell people the truth - that we can’t begin to fix the problem, and that wildfires are going to do the heavy lifting of re-designing the landscape to a more ‘climate-appropriate’ type of land cover.

The Forest Service has been so beaten down with lawsuits, leadership changes, and changes in what the public demands from them, they can’t manage the forests they have, even before they burn, so expecting them to replant, thin, and keep fire from burning new tree farms just isn’t going to happen. And even if we had the capacity to log, thin, burn, and replant at the scale we need to - tens of millions of acre - who is going to actually do the labor and pay for it? And who is going to build the new mills to handle all those logs. It’s just not happening.

Like it or not, fire is the only tool that is up to the scale of the job of preparing our forests for the future.

9 Likes

Quit charging the loggers for the timber and have them do it as part of the contract. They charge so much right now that the logging turns into a slash and grab just to pay the bills and get out

1 Like

Vs 100’s of thousands of acres of public land.

SPI owns almost all of the mills in NorCal. That is the last thing they want - it would destroy the market for the logs they cut on their own ground. The big timber owners absolutely do NOT want the Feds to start cranking out a ton of logs - right now they are making BANK off the fact they control most of the supply.

3 Likes

It’s a good conversation to have backed up with solid information. This stuff is not too hard to get the numbers on. Easy to get derailed into politics when you have these arguments in a data-free environment.

1 Like