Should we do a better job at explaining why we monitor fires, or suppress them immediately?

Show me slash filled SPI land with verified geo-location.
Throwing the BS flag(whistle blows).

2 Likes

Same here, and if I didn’t wish to enjoy OUR public lands, as well as wanting it *preserved * for future generations.

2 Likes

Dude! We have absolutely no chance of restoring it with the attitude that “it can’t be done”, or if it all burns up! If you have given up, then what is the point?

2 Likes

Here’s your slash. Turn on the satellite view and zoom in - you’ll find some.

5 Likes

Just chiming in that I worked for the feds for quite a while and became skeptical of their methodology. I eventually decided to go and get a shiny forestry degree (to actually make some money) and have been working in the private sector since and got the full picture of what’s going on. PyroGeo is absolutely correct.

6 Likes

Conservation Corps. CDC crews. Both of these cost the same no matter what they are doing.
The logging companies. They operate under strict contracts as to what, how, how much, where, when, restoration requirements, road repair, etc., etc. ad nauseum. Perfect example is the Franks Valley Thinning project on the PNF. Only happening due to a grant from the mule deer foundation. The logging companies can handle the red tape, but when the forest service demands money in return from them it makes it financially unfeasible. When the logging company can come in, abide by the rules set forth by the forest service, and sell what they harvest for profit, they are more than happy to do it. And clean up after themselves.
See for yourself.

3 Likes

P.S. ‘94-95 I planted, shaded, thinned, and protected from deer, more trees than I can count while working for the FS. All for $4.23/hour.

1 Like

Really? From space?
I’m talking actual boots on the ground as people like to say. I hunt SPI land. Why? Because I can see at least 100 yards and the walking is easy cross country. That is real data, not years old satellite photos from 370 miles up.
BTW, my boots have been on the ground all over this state for 25 years, just in case anyone wants to accuse me of being a keyboard firefighter.

1 Like

Sure, I marked thousands of acres of thinning for USFS in the mid-90s. It was great work, and there is plenty of work that can be done. But we aren’t going to hand thin Chips Creek Canyon or just about anything in the Dixie Fire Footprint, nor are we going to get much done on the escarpment above Doyle or Milford. We need to concentrate on places we can get into, and where it is economical to operate. And once those areas are treated, let the inaccessible stuff burn. All of our logging and burning should be aiming to create conditions that protect communities and prime timberlands so we can let fires do the heavy lifting in the backcountry.

I just spent the last 2 years working on a plan to identify areas to thin and burn for about a million acres in the Lassen Foothills, check it out if you want to dig in.

7 Likes

Where exactly is the slash?

I would love to know who you work for in the “private” with that forestry degree. If its a private timber company I am sure you do agree with pyro. The last thing the private industry wants from the feds is competition

1 Like

You mean this? Phhht……

1 Like

That’s not what is being discussed here. You are missing the point. Letting burn during high risk periods and in high risk/high potential(to human life and property) is unacceptable. The Dixie fire was not left to grow for 11 days. That is why Cal Fire is trying their damdest to hit it hard and prevent further destruction and threat to life.
And fire season is not the time to let fire do the “heavy lifting”. Irresponsible decision making like this endangers the public and firefighters. Boots on the ground. When was the last time a fire “manager” got burned over?

6 Likes

Then there is the carbon footprint! Please, for Greta and Al!

3 Likes

Boy I hate it when I’m right, we’re about 3000 parsecs off topic now.

11 Likes

Yeah. You know it’s gone off the rails when they start dropping the G word and going after Al.

7 Likes

You are correct in that resourses need to be priortized. But if other incidents such as the Lava and the Sugar fire on the Beckworth had been properly dealt with when they were small, then those resources would have been available. Now this incident will suck Fed, State, and LG resources for the next two weeks at best.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of chains…

1 Like

Exactly………

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Body is too short must have 10 characters

1 Like