Staffing Shortages

We have the same issue. The new generation are mostly all about me mentality. We can barely get them to cover OT at the station. I got tired of all the BS and retired.

1 Like

Perhaps we can merge these threads

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea. I just wonder when fire season really hits California. How things will pan out.

I would say that the current employees being all about me is an incorrect statement.

Things have definitely changed in the fire service in the last 10-20 years, especially in California.
I would say in the past, if you wanted to be gone all summer, you would work for Calfire or the Feds and if you worked for a structure department, you might go out once or twice a year, if you were lucky. I know of many departments that are sending units out(OES and their own) and not seeing them return for months(literally look at Dixie last year, multiple rotations through the same engines).
That changes the dynamics of having an OES engine compared to the past, where it went out only occasionally and normally for short stints.

Many departments are having staffing shortages and employees are getting mandatory/forced overtime to cover those gaps. That adds up to more days away from the family BEFORE fire season even starts. Not to mention being gone for 2 or 3 weeks and then getting mandatory overtime on arrival home.

I think the current generation, is more cognitive of both their mental health and the health of their relationships at home. I would much rather have a guy or gal stay home and have a healthy marriage than be gone all summer and be on his or her 2nd or 3rd divorce.

There is a saying that every firefighter has a second job, just some Firefighters second job is at the fire department(read overtime). I think in the last few years strong economy, some have found their 2nd jobs and have made better money or better time balanced 2nd jobs and businesses.

There is a time and a place that people need to step up and take some overtime for the team, and for the good of the order.

I would preface that with, what use to be the exception is now becoming the expected for some of these departments.

“We just need to get through this season and next year will be slower” “we just need you to work a few more extra days and then the forced hire will be over…3 years later”

The pendulum swung way to one side for a few years, and people have stepped up and took one for the team, but many left CalFire or never joined them to begin with, because they weren’t signing up to be gone 6 months out of the year.

Also in my experience, it is actually the older generation who is less willing to get on a rig and leave, while the younger generation who has grown up in this new world of 9 month fire seasons, sees it as just another day.

19 Likes

Yup we see the same at my agency. in 2017 he had people fighting to go out on strike teams. Now we have to mandatory people to go out occasionally. Part of that was we had so many vacancies during the pandemic trying to get folks on boarded and like @Chaparral said the commitment for LG on Fed and State incidents has gone up dramatically. OES engines being out for 2 months and every 14 days rotating folks. As far as which generation wants to go I see it as a mix, we have folks with young kids that already get mandatories a ton and 14 days assignment is tough and we have folks that have been going out year after year that are frankly burned out. I did 5 years on Hotshots when nobody asked when your last day off was. 21 days was normal. When I worked for Cal-Fire a 14 day IMT deployment was long except for some banner years like 2008. Now a 14 day IMT deployment is probably the minimum. People can only be stretched so thin before something breaks in them.

13 Likes

I agree with Chaparral and Ajohansson. I love going OOC both on an engine and as a line medic. I started with CF and I still love it though I work with LG now. When I was with CF we did 96’s hoping for our nickel and those before me did way more. I realize not everyone has that background but at the same time I struggle with the FF who complains about get forced to work more, be it from m injuries, vacations or deployments. The ‘48 and out the gate’ guy. If you only wanted to work your shift Safeway is hiring. We took an oath to fulfill the mission and part of that mission is the MMAA in CA, at least for my Dept. At the same time though I know first hand how this occupation effects families and the mental and emotional stresses it places on everyone. I don’t know what the answer is. The highest paid LG’s in the SF Bay Area are having recruitment issues. I do know that it’s going to get worse before it gets better. With the Feds where they are, CF crews depleted and LG stretched thin as it is….”gonna be the worst fire season ever”.

18 Likes

On the bright side, this could be a good year for recruitment.

3 Likes

In 1970, we did 120 hours a week if we were NOT held over. If held over, you received CTO ( compensated time off) at a hour-per-hour rate, not time and a half like overtime. We did this for, best as I can remember, $ 425.00 per monthly pay check. No uniform allowance. The California Division of Forestry did supply your aluminum helmet and gloves though. I was married with one child at the time. And some of the folks think they have it tough now.
No hotels, we slept in paper sleeping bags and received showers when we got back to quarters. No out of county bags, change clothes when return to quarters in a couple of days or a week.

CDF did supply our meals with a cook at our station, for $ 65.00 a month (deducted from the $ 425.00).
While enjoying the work, it was tough on the family. While you do have 48 whole hours off, that also includes your travel time to and from work.

That could be why they call them the “Good Old Days”.

7 Likes

Arff, yep those were the days when we appreciated serving. Then when we went to a 96hr duty week life was good. Then In 1975-77, I had earned enough CTO to take off 2.5 months with pay each year.

5 Likes

Tell me there isn’t a shortage of labor.
When In-N-Out is starting at $6.50 above minimum wage(California) and $2.50 above California’s fast food minimum wage

7 Likes

Mustard Fried with peppers.

3 Likes

That’ll be $30.27. Please, pull forward to the window.

1 Like

Just watched a CSPAN hearing, hoping to see some movement on WPPA, or at least some better focus. Not where it’s sitting, I guess. Still a lot of deadwood and long faces. :sunglasses:

Ever gonna be enough dozers and airtankers? But, your for the ruck and the mountain and I fear the decisive routing of pious frauds may have to wait until November.

2 Likes

I appreciate you man but I think you need a sidekick translator

9 Likes

Not while I’m riffing, lol. Writer’s liability, I guess. The pros have editors. Sometimes, you just gotta turn it loose and tidy it up, afterwards. Don’t let me derail the topic. And, watch your back.

3 Likes

What S&R said :rofl:

6 Likes