Telematics

https://www.fs.usda.gov/inside-fs/leadership/forest-service-launches-telematics-program-improve-safety-support-sustainable#:~:text=Fleet%20telematics%20is%20a%20vehicle,our%20employees%20who%20operate%20them.

This is actively occurring on multiple forests in region 5, just looking for insight, thoughts and opinions on the matter. I see the value, tracking resources and equipment, tracking maintenance. Alot of concern and chatter about privacy issues, but realistically, regardless of what the general consensus is, we should have no expectation of “privacy” while operating a government owned vehicle

4 Likes

CF has a similar system in place on most front line vehicles. Engines, Dozers, Transports and BC rides. GPS quipped, linked to ECCs & all other quipped. Multiple options within its features of use. Handy on fires and responding out of unit. Haven’t heard of anyone getting disciplined for anything related to them. Still your choice to respond the safest route possible and be at work when you’re supposed to be. Other than that uses cell signal. So not always reliable.

2 Likes

The CF units can go to radio, and finally satellite if needed when no cell signal.

3 Likes

No one on my forest has access to it. Just the province fleet manager. They said as of now they are just using it to track mileage.

3 Likes

That is what I’ve been told as well from my forest

1 Like

Federal land management agencies are catching up to the rest of the State and Local response agencies that have been tracking vehicles for about 2 decades. DOI has been doing this for probably 5 years now. The privacy issues are a joke. If you can’t justify your location then you should not be there. Now we are moving to track your location when you are dismounted on the fireline and the same rules apply.

6 Likes