Thanks for Wildfireintel.org

Well 2019 is coming to a close, I want to thank all those folks associated with this website.
We need to encourage and support the staff in the coming years. If donations are needed, I encourage everyone to give.

25 Likes

I agree! Very helpful and user friendly! Iā€™ll donate !! Just say the word!

5 Likes

Mods. This site is getting better and better every year. Thank you again!!! Youā€™re doing an awesome job!!

7 Likes

Thanks Mods for all your hard work. I am surprised about all the back and forth, arguing, interagency attacks lately. Itā€™s somewhat disheartening to see. Itā€™s also different from past years. This year these random drops appear planned, organized and subtle. So much so I find myself wondering what was that post all about?

Thanks for keeping us, including me, in line and your hours and hours of commitment to moderating this site.

10 Likes

I was reminiscing with the guys at the station today and was like remember when the Thomas fire was going and we lost wildandfire.comā€¦thankfully you guys stepped up.

8 Likes

I was thinking it would be worth circling back to the mission and ā€˜business planā€™ for this site. As far as I know, it started because folks who run commercial intel services for private wildfire customers needed a way to fill the gap left by the sudden bankruptcy and collapse of wildlandfire dot com/FireWhat. Itā€™d be nice to hear from the non-profit that runs this site what the costs are to run it, and what the outlook is for keeping it going over the long run. Another question is if it would it be possible for the non-profit to share the actual data archive for this site in some sort of usable format so others have it for reference and resurrection if something happens and the site is no longer available. The loss of the archive of wildlandfire dot com was a major one - a huge amount of blow-by-blow intel on emerging incidents just evaporated when they went offline.

8 Likes

Yup, the loss of wildlandfire dot com and the ā€œThey Saidā€ blog was huge. They Said was in place starting in the 90ā€™s or early 2000s? Need to retain that data!

4 Likes

It would be great to hear a update on the general health of this site, what does the future look like, is there a steering committee of some sort to help with the day to day???. wildandfire.com had a tremendous number of rather historic photos that a lot of us enjoyed, I had kinda forgotten all the great attributes that Wildland Fire.com provided and I recall how disappointing it was when it went down. I would think a number of us would be willing to make donations to help with managing/maintaining this site. We had zero warning that the old forum was going off line, here and gone in one dayā€¦I know I have zero say in anything concerning this site, but I sure would miss itā€¦Peaceā€¦

3 Likes

The old hotlist really was an incredible resource. We used it to reconstruct the initial spread of the Valley Fire to callibrate some spread models, and there were so many example like that, where someone posted ā€˜fire just spotted over the HIghway at XYZ Roadā€™, and we had time-tagged points to reference. I know the old WLF site is sitting somewhere on a hard drive. Itā€™d be great if someone could share it again.

12 Likes

@pyrogeography I have a great thread I saved that you were part of with Tom Patterson on the history of wildfire gis. We lost a lot of great stuff.

7 Likes

I pilfered/archived a bunch of the non-forum content from the old site after the forum went away. Iā€™ll dig it up and see if I can post it somewhere accessible one of these days.

6 Likes

The magic of this forum isnā€™t its content alone. It is the community of users and the vigilant moderators that truly make it shine. The moderators work tirelessly to ensure that the forum stays current, relevant, and free from spam or misinformation. Their dedication is evident in the quality of discussions and the up-to-date information available. This is a life-saving forum thank you for making us all feel welcomed and relevant. :heart: :evergreen_tree: :heart:

7 Likes

Iā€™d kind of like to see that one. I was part of the FIRESCOPE group back then, but wasnā€™t ever really a Jedi GIS type. More like Barney Rubble.

7 Likes

In 94 I was 9 and saw the big creek fire as me and pops headed home from the cabin, in 2000 we sat on pops truck at home as fire moved toward our cabin thinking itā€™d be gone forever shortly. Joined the old hotlist site I canā€™t remember when but read on they said about both of those fires then that went away, then joined another site that just started then wildfire Intel started and here we are. I never knew how many of you were near by me until we all watched our backyards burn and sat up hours one night watching a camera looking towards meadow lakes and one radio tower light being a beacon of hope for me as the creek fire ran through alder springs and pushed up the backside of bald mountain.

For me being on kept me calmer during that time period and well this place is pretty friendly. Thank you all for making this site what it is.

8 Likes

@TheBrushSlasher - youā€™ve got so many stories about so much ground, Iā€™ve always pictured you as a greybeard!

6 Likes