The August Lull???

It would be interesting to see a similar graph of the total number of acres burned each month or average number of acres per fire. Overlaying the two curves might truly point to an August lull.

1 Like

John I think they may be confusing you with another noted wildland firefighter with the initials JH

1 Like

Wait a minute!! Iā€™ve got that screwed up! Wasnā€™t bill 2116? 43 years ago was a long time ago!

Correct. Bill Sager went to the Scarface Fire as the relief IC. Thank you.

2 Likes

I had those graphs (with updated realtime data) until CF updated their GeoJson endpoint this month to only include 2021 incidents.

1 Like

There does seem to be a tiny bit of a dip the graph in most years between an initial July spike and something happening in September.

Overlay has too much spread (between acres and number of fires) but here is acres burned per new fire per month.

2 Likes

FireHawk, thanks for the history Jedi.

3 Likes

Better get those bags packed and boots tight appears the Lull is overā€¦

12 Likes

We never even made it to August

9 Likes

Yeah. What Lull lol.

1 Like

Ok, but still going for the lullā€¦

5 Likes

Thanks for the awesome information. I canā€™t work on it now, but I might see if I can make it into a convincing argument later next week.

1 Like

Itā€™s officially a lull! Weā€™ve reverted to talking about everything but fires. The old guy nails it again!!!

12 Likes

Well Dude, I hope youā€™re happy now! You jinxed it! :shushing_face:

3 Likes

Looks like its gonna be the August Pull.
To North Ops.

6 Likes

In the 90ā€™s the South was the place to visit, then in the 2000 it started to shift to the North. And it remained that way. Now the ā€œGreat Southern migrationā€ only happens in November.

4 Likes

Heh donā€™t forget 2003 & 2007. MVICC invited anyone and everyone to come way south and play!

3 Likes

They were coming out like it was a gold rush.

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to say that this myth is bustedā€¦

13 Likes