The August Lull???

Yeah that’s over. :raised_back_of_hand:t5::raised_back_of_hand:t5:

4 Likes

I remember FC Bob Linehan said when I was a firefighter “Always take vacation towards the end of August”… followed his advise to the T !! Got out of some loooong assignments that way!!

4 Likes

what is the q word? just Q-rius…

1 Like

It’s when you walk into dispatch, not much is happening, everybody has their heads down trying to complete some paperwork or something, you put your hands on your hips, look around, and loudly proclaim, “It sure is QUIET in here!”

I’ll leave it to the imagination what happens next.

10 Likes

Your next 10 fire assignments are the worse every. Or you sit and never turn a wheel. Don’t mess with dispatch!

6 Likes

We’ve killed for less. :rofl:

So now that August is over………
Must be time to talk about the September Slump?:rofl:

12 Likes

Sorry…I made a calculation error and didn’t calculate today’s fire seasons versus the day’s gone by. But you have to give me, that the IA’s are way down and factor out the mega fires and things would have been really slow. I assure you, I will not bring this up next year. Now about the September slump…

19 Likes

I agree with you even with all the nay sayers… Yup been around a while and there is always what I call a mid season lull. This year it just may come later in the firefight but it happens. Dang whippersnappers.

6 Likes

Snaptember now; tired and short tempered.

8 Likes

Wake me up when september ends

13 Likes

September Slump? Isn’t it time to start the conversation about the End of Fire Season?

And in regards to a pause in September, it used to not be unusual to get an early fall storm move through the Northern part of the State.

9 Likes

Well now since you brought up the Marble Cone and 1977.
That year I went to AK for a different kind of firefighting. August is about the time people start thinking of leaving. Maybe try to pick some work in the lower 48. We had a start named the Farewell fire and a load Jumpers got on it with some of us Helitack to assist. Suddenly the Jumpers were demobed to head south and I think most of the Fairbanks loft went also. That left about 10 of us to deal with 4 days days of nonstop 30 mph winds. Dispatch was not receptive to our request for additional support. When the big man in charge flew out of McGrath to see what was up, he could not believe how big this fire had become. After an hours worth of size up he ordered dispatch to get ever crew they could find along with management positions. That fire went over 1million acres; a first I think. I am not saying that if we had been able to keep the load of jumpers, we would have caught it. But anytime someone brings up 1977 and the Marble Cone Fire, all I can think of is that Fairwell Peak fire, and working until Sep8 when the snow started flying.

6 Likes

Isn’t September more of a geographical transition / shift rather than a pause in our world ? if history stays on tract.

2 Likes

Only time will tell. One of the key takeaways from this year is certainly that nothing seems to be tracking to traditional history. But to your point, yes, this is the time when we traditionally see the events, efforts and people transitioning towards fires in the Southern part of CA.

4 Likes

Spot on, I just didn’t want to be the one to say it. Thank you.:wink:

4 Likes

October always has some tricks to treat people to. Won’t be long before we get to the December doldrums! Glad I put my time in and get to watch from the cheap seats!

8 Likes

So what’s the over/under on the date that we get to see images of pavement princess engines from the flat lander areas with a layer of Sierra snow on them? Cuz you know that’s coming… fingers crossed!

6 Likes

Can we get some pics of them stuck on a dozer line during mop up too, saw it on the border 50 fire😅

3 Likes

Had to put tire chains on my ECT to get out of a bad spot after a down pour during the Rough Fire. Thank god I left on the bus.

6 Likes