Tim Chavez Appreciation Thread

Legendary Cal Fire/CDF firefighter, Tim Chavez retired today, and it looks like he did it like he does everything - with style, wit, and a sense of tradition!

This is a thread for stories about working with him, or other kudos.

Photos by Ted Schaffer via Facebook.

14 Likes

The OG FBAN!!

5 Likes

Congrats to Tim!

3 Likes

Congrats Tim
I had Tim helping teach S-390 back in the early 90’s in RRU. I believe he was still working at San Jacinto FFS with Steve Huntington?

He was always keen in his approach to the class and full of wisdom. May he enjoy a well deserved retirement. Is hard to believe I’ve been retired 20 years now.

6 Likes

Chief Chavez, My highly respected Man and Chief, Best to you as you get an order and request from SoOps to go on Special Staffing Pattern R (SSP-R). You will enjoy retirement which is great for you. The CAL FIRE Warriors and Support Personnel will really miss you as will the citizens who don’t really know what a great deal, they had with you! Thank you for calling me this afternoon to tell me this is your last work day!

This note is about you but I must add that my nearly 15-years working in RRU/RVC were highlighted because of you and thousands more Riverside Unit Fire Jedi’s.

Getting you to retire was not a costly lunch gig. I think 2-3 burger and fry lunches were all that were needed. Getting past the fire station life was the question. You promoted and everyone was better for it. You are just one helluva firefighter and fire officer. No doubt about it!

As many have already written, you made a significant difference for so many firefighters including me. I watched and listened to everything you did and words you spoke. You made a difference. As you go home tonight, please remember this thought from me, You Made a Difference! The last fire that we worked together was a small smudge in Lamb Canyon, May 17, 2017.

I have so many great memories. One of the best and the saddest had me calling you the day before the 2006 Esperanza Fire to question you about the NWS San Diego Red Flag Warning for moderate to strong Santa Ana Winds. I called you at FS 25 San Jacinto FFS. You said, “Chief, I think the winds will be on the strong side. We better hope we don’t get a fire in the San Gorgonio Pass…” The rest is history as the next morning at about 1am, the arsonist struck on Esperanza Avenue in Cabazon kindling the 40,000-acre fire that killed five valiant United States Forest Service San Bernardino National Forest (BDF) Firefighters. We shall never forget! Clairvoyant?

I must also mention you as a master historian which is validated by the old CDF outfit you proudly donned today. Awesome!

Thank you for everything. I shall always relish our friendship and highly respect you as my collegial colleague. Best to you and yours. Happy New Year 2024!

11 Likes

Tim- your commitment to our fire behavior art has been so appreciated. Thank you for decades of dedication to the interagency fire community, but especially to the small nitch community that want to take it to the FBAN level. We’ve all learned a lot from you.

BTW, if I remember right he started as a USFS employee? Go team green for picking up this guy up first haha.

Take care Tim! Hope you stay connected through things like Foresters and Fire Wardens, we need your corporate knowledge.

5 Likes

One of the very best in our organization and the fire service. Enjoy!

5 Likes

When I met Tim on my first GIS assignment, on the Butte Lightning Complex, in 1999, he’d already been working in fire for 3 decades. We’ve worked together a lot on Cal Fire IMT deployments since then, and as the Fire Behavior Analyst, Tim has always had some sort of interesting mapping project for us to work on as incidents wound down, trying to understand/reconstruct key events of the fire’s spread, and identify lessons-learned. He is always curious, engaged, and grounded in his incredible breadth of real-world fireground experience. It’s been an honor to work with Tim.

8 Likes

Congratulations Tim it has been an honor to have been able to work with you all these years. I wish you all the best in your retirement.

3 Likes

Just caught this. Legend…On my first SITL-T deployment Tim was my qualified on old team 7. Was a long 36 hours up straight. Learned a ton over the years from Tim. Im a better person for having the honor of working with him. Enjoy that retirement!

6 Likes