Time for military assistance?

Curious, are they basically handled as Type 2 crews?

That is correct.

For the most part yes.
They are assigned to colder parts of a fire, used to prep homes, roads etc.
Good resource and they bring their own support modules.

NICC has requested an Army battalion (500 soldiers) to be trained and mobilized to assist with the firefighting effort in CA. The DOD has approved the request. MCAD’s are being mobilized to conduct classroom and field training that will start this week.

3 Likes

In 2008 I was a Alpha STEN-T and I would say the LG Alpha handcrew experiment began on the Butte Lightning Complex 2008. Our Strike team and another from norcal was even called a A/G by the IC as a nice recognition of our handcrew work. No complaints and it was very hard very different but very fun. Since then i have seen it happen and personally been used as a handcrew many many times with Alphas.

We had the Army as two handcrews with us on the Butte Fire 2015. Worked hard and did great no complaints.

2 Likes

I was part of ICT 9 on that complex and one of the local BC’s came up with the idea and we ran with it. As an Alpha checked in, they were asked if they would work as a hand crew. Some said no, but most said overwhelming yes so their T-Card was tagged and they were assigned. Lots of work got done with limited resources. Yes the CNG was there as well, on the ground and in the air. One of the first incidents where a military drone did recon.

3 Likes

Canada sends crews. Australia and NZ, only overhead under the contract. Remember most firefighters in Aus are vfd’s…

3 Likes

A couple weeks ago, as an inmate was getting off the bus, he said when he got released the next day he was going to turn in his FF1 app. Guess we’re not losing them all.:smirk:

9 Likes

As 1 Kiwi replied after talking to a Div. Chief from Mississippi, “I though you guys spoke English over here mate?”

7 Likes