Time for military assistance?

Maybe with the draw down NG and ER could be brought in to assist. I am willing to bet the Canadians will be on their way soon. They have proven themselves in the past and surely could assist in freeing up some IA folks.

1 Like

CNG has been activated, currently receiving training at Camp Roberts. Should see the Task Forces on the road in a few days. I believe they also brought on additional aircraft.

6 Likes

sounds great. a lot of activity flies under the radar. truly appreciate

hopefully we can keep the fires out there until they can be trained.

I thought I heard on one of Newsoms update he’s requested help from both Canada and Australia and both have agreed (I’m thinking handcrews). Not sure when they’ll arrive. Kudos to Australia considering what they’ve been through recently.

5 Likes

aircraft has been going since Thursday most of it is on the LNU and SCU incidents.

1 Like

normally, Canada gives handcrews and overhead. Australia has always given manpower in the way of overhead;; not to say they may supply crews also. have worked with both: great assets.

1 Like

TGU Elkhorn has 4 CNG hawks and a Lakota ship that has been acting as Helco (with the telltale military ship whiny audio and massive over-modulation that almost makes one wonder if they are transmitting FM on the rotor vic, and wideband FM on the NFM freqs. It’s been an issue over the incident a few times…) It could even have been isolated to a helmet/seat position and not the radios as later they seemed to improve slightly, or all our ears retuned.

3 Likes

I haven’t had a ton of experience with military crews, but I was on a fire in Eastern Oregon where they brought in a bunch of Army grunts just out of basic training in Kansas. We had 8 medivacs on their first day in the mountains. They kept falling off rocks and generally getting beat up. Several broken legs. It wasn’t really helpful to the overall flow of the incident.

4 Likes

sometimes we take the good with the bad. I agree they are not the ideal folks we would put on the fire field, but…not all are boots (military terms) but as with all crews need good leadership and hopefully that will help. We are in a war and there will be adjustments. respect as always your input. carry on

3 Likes

Maybe he shouldn’t have released all the inmates. :thinking:

8 Likes

While, inmates are not in the same class as is our military, I do see your point. Having led inmate crews for over 20 years, they are a great asset. I do wish there had been a alternative to just releasing a great asset. But what has been done is done and has been being done for a long time. Get elected and maybe you or someone can change it. carry on

9 Likes

My experience on an engine where there were NG crews were that their mechanics seemed to think they needed to use a grinder all night long on the brake drums of their deuces near the tent where we were trying to sleep in the freezing cold. Their MKU was excellent, though, chicken cordon bleu with the decorative bone sticking out the end was beyond the call of duty.

Friend was on a different fire with marines and was highly annoyed they pulled the wire flags from hotspots from the night IR flight and used them to decorate their helmets to look like space aliens among other things.

3 Likes

It might be nice to hear some positive experiences with those who are willing to lay their lives down to protect our freedom…with that being said with no disrespect… worked with a few that worked with military crews during Yellowstone episode and to everyone they had nothing but positive experiences. Take the bad with the good…we can use them now. We have been using them as MAFFs and additional resources prior with great success.

5 Likes

Army guys are much appreciated for their logistical support and big stuff. Once came to inspect fireline dug by troops,to discover it was almost as deep as trenches used in the Battle of the Somme, in 1916. Then at 1630 hrs as we got ready for a big burnout op, the Captain comes to me and says ‘We gotta go now, and do Army stuff.’ Nothing but respect for the troops though.

2 Likes

I’m looking for someone with historical maps of the Butte Fire in Calaveras Co. I know someone who wants a copy of a fire intensity map of that event for some rehabl Do you have or know anyone who could help him?

Our relationship and fire plan agreement with the CNG is excellent. When activated, the CNG crews are assigned an experienced FC and sometimes 2 FF sawers. These crews have been a great asset and in my vast experience with them are always willing to work and their officer liaisons are excellent. Hats off to the Adjutant General in CA for supporting this program.

3 Likes

Love our soldiers
Remember the alternative is making alpha strike teams into hand crews. Which one will complain more​:crazy_face::rofl:
Before any one complains I am a LG guy just trying to lighten things up

11 Likes

We took a bunch of STAs on the Lodge complex in MEU and formed them up as handcrews. For the most part they ate it up. Probably the most expensive handcrews ever!!! :wink:

6 Likes

Haha, what else would you expect from us Marines. If there isn’t someone shooting back at us, it’s pretty much child’s play and boring. Gotta make it interesting somehow!

2 Likes

CNG blackhawk just flew over Woodland headed West. Thank you to the troops for joining the fight!