Transmission Line Arching

I’m looking for any information (articles or papers) on the possibility of arching when heavy smoke envelops a high voltage power lines.

2 Likes

Attached a few older studies.

Here’s a more recent article on the subject: Transmission Line Build-Out Across the West: Impacts to Wildfire and from Wildfire | The Smokey Wire : National Forest News and Views

App 1 ASR z_Attm 1A-Fire Report.pdf (772.1 KB) 59265405.pdf (706.1 KB)

3 Likes

Very helpful, thanks

2 Likes

KTLA 5 in LA has many videos of arcing power lines from over the years. You would see the smoke billowing into the power lines then ground strike from the lines. Definitely a good training video of why not to fight fire under the transmission lines.

1 Like

Will check it out, thanks

1 Like

Back in my day’s working as ATGS in MVU I saw multiple arcing from high voltage power lines.

Anytime that you have heavy smoke impacting them, it’s a real dangerous situation for any ground resources nearby. Sometimes the arcing would cause new fires under them.

2 Likes

Thank you

Our local utility is planning a 500,000kw line (on towers) up and over Palomar Mtn. (San Diego County) connecting Imperial solar to the San Onofre substation. An effort is underway to address the dangers to this area.

4 Likes

Saw it twice in person at ground level on separate fires (too close for comfort!)
Every bit as loud and intense as a lightning strike.

5 Likes