USFS EMS program ?

Anyone know …
Do any federal agencies USFS hire AD EMT’s ? If so what medical director and protocols do they work under ?

What are “AD EMT’s”?

AD stands for Administratively determined, it’s how the Feds hire extra help when needed .

1 Like

Anyone know …
Do any federal agencies USFS, NPS or BLM hire AD EMT’s ? If so what medical director and protocols do they work under ?

Yes. Worked with a EMTF on the Mosquito who is seasonal SAR with YNP . He said he punched out as AD. They’d work under their LEMSA like the rest of the medical shop.

2 Likes

I have seen the YOSE SAR team on fires before. They get punched out as AD EMTs with rope rescue gear . The incident uses them as a REMS team .
NPS has a supported EMS program with EMTs and Medics. But does USFS have a recognized Medical director and LEMSA ? Last I heard they didn’t have any real supported ems program yet .

1 Like

Some info here. The nwcg website will have more information and background

Yes on the AD question. Now sure on the medical program question. However I believe I’ve read in the past how this is allowable on the NWCG website.

Poke around towards the bottom, “useful links”.

https://www.nwcg.gov/committees/emergency-medical-committee

2 Likes

USFS Region 5 does have an Medical Director and a EMS program is in the process of being built. The original intent is to take care of firefighters on the ground, but a recognized biproduct of that is it can also serve the public. I think we will be seeing more to come on this soon from R5 leadership.

5 Likes

Any more news about Reg 5 getting its EMS program going ? I see in this article that some other regions have already done so through a partnership with NPS.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/inside-fs/leadership/recognizing-our-emergency-medical-services-providers-during-national-ems-week

1 Like

The FS is issuing EMS credentials to all regions now and will include ADs. Applications are available from the Office of Emergency Medical Services (sm.fs.ems@usda.gov) Once credentialed the EMTs will be connected with their local medical direction. It is still up to the local Forest to decide if they want to sponsor an AD EMT.

2 Likes