VLAT's

So what is the status of tanker 944? I saw it was launched on the holy incident and a few other fires but not too often. Is it a contract thing? I realize that 944 needs to reload at Mc Clellan only, but if it’s up in north ops area it is a moot point, since all VLAT’s reload at Mc Clellan and with 944 @ 19,000 vs DC-10’s @ 12,000 the turn around vs coverage is much more with 944.

I could be wrong but I think at one point 944 only had a contract with cal fire and the USFS did not sign with them. Could be wrong but I vaguely remember that. Also 944 is very terrain dependent as she is a big beast.

1 Like

Oh ok. Didn’t think about it being a fed. fire issue. Thx.

944 works for CALFIRE on a CWN basis. So unless there is a need for it on a CALFIRE incident, it sits, waiting for another agency to use it as needed. Awful as that is, that bad boy just costs a lot to put it on a exclusive use contract.

1 Like

Just saw 914 make a trip out of MCC to an area above Folsom lake i hear no traffic from NYP or AEU ? About to land at MCC.

Where can I track the location of the VLATs?

Flightradar24.com by tail number.

944 has been at San Bernardino the last few weeks and was flying the Dome Fire earlier today, it was also on the Lake and Ranch2 fires this week.

1 Like

944 just assigned to the River Fire in BEU.

1 Like