Wildland Firefighter Entry Level Pay

Pushing, Make sure you pass this info along to hrryup and grassroots.

1 Like

That was straight from the Forest Service pay and series town hall and the subsequent grassroots meeting. I feel like they never really looked at the Wage Grade 5716 fire operator position descriptions. Ours is quite fire specific in relation to the 5716 engineering equipment operators. As a WG our job and areas are studied annually with a full study every other year and they feel we are in the correct position and compensation for our job series.

2 Likes

I can’t see them not converting all the WGs dozers to the 456 series. We would lose everyone.

Unfortunately this doesn’t surprise me at all after working in that same position. It’s really sad how little people know about this position. I know of some guys working on trying to get the right information out that shows the difference in pay with the similar job duties. One of the biggest reasons I made the move to the state was because I think it is best for my family.

5 Likes

Bottom line….the Federal government will only/ever give “lip service” and will never really care about any wildfire agency (certainly not those of us who are lowly firefighters). They have bigger fish to fry ….secret service, capital police, air marshals, the list is amazingly long.

We all just have to put the fires out with little respect…forget equal compensation.

Best bet for ALL firefighters involved who want parity with other fire agencies is to gravitate/migrate to state or local gov agencies! (I have been hearing about all of these issues for 30 years). Get licensed , get certified and quit the feds, it won’t change) :frowning:

2 Likes

1993 fire academy graduate, who specifically chose to avoid federal fire agencies (for every one of the above reasons)….you can too!

I see what your saying… but the real problem is that the Wage Grade pay scale is based on Prevailing Wage and the Davis Bacon act.
We are no where near prevailing wage and at step 05 (which is maxed out) we should be 12% over prevailing. By my calculations WG-10S-05 is actually 66.5% of what prevailing wage actually is…

1 Like

Hard to disagree with resQ. State and Cali LG do a lot better at focusing on firefighter pay.

1 Like

Well it seemed pretty straight forward that we’re SOL. Seems like everyone we work with has our back. It’s just gonna be hard to get OPM on board.

It is truly a shame dozer operators are not included…with the announcement a week or so ago that Cal Fire will be hiring additional operators for the new dozers they will be funding, it’s hard to see the feds holding onto what they have.
Classification means nothing without pay, basically what Rhoades said during the call. It’s just a title.

It’s almost as if the govt seems to think all folks want is a title. I’m cautiously optimistic they will do the right thing, because literally the staffing capacity is spiraling downhill everyday

1 Like

The new CF budget has funding for 10 “Surge” dozers and 53 “Surge” engines
5 Dozers North
5 Dozers South
2 engines per unit
2 engines per Contract County
There IS NOT staffing included in the budget, just the equipment. These Dozers & Engines would only be staffed during specific staffing patterns.

2 Likes

So they won’t be staffed unless employees are forced on, oh but wait the department is already short employees so we have the equipment just not enough employees

2 Likes

The Positions are coming, just not fast enough. There are over 600 perm positions at the Company Officer Level or higher in the budget through 2026/2027 budget year. The new equipment is all funded with one-time funds.

2 Likes

Good on calfire for the build up.

I don’t blame fed dozer operator for jumping ship.

6 Likes

Tim Hart Wildland Firefighter Classification and Pay Parity Act

Edited previous post to include 7-20-22 co-sponsor addition

One more co-sponsor :white_check_mark:

H.R.5631 - Tim Hart Wildland Firefighter Classification and Pay Parity Act (117th Congress)
Sponsor: Rep. Neguse, Joe [D-CO-2] (Introduced 10/19/2021)

Has changes in:

New Cosponsor (1 new, 26 total)
Cosponsor: Rep. Peters, Scott H. [D-CA-52 - ]07/19/2022

4 Likes

Above is a bill that includes at the forefront, the Tim Hart Act or at least part of it. I haven’t read through it all yet as it’s over 500 pages long. Sec. 101 is has the meat and potatoes. This bill will be voted on in the house this Friday. I think it’s worth writing to our respective representatives at this time to show our support of this bill. Its short notice but still worth the fight. Spread far and wide.

1 Like

Thanks blanco. Where did you read the house floor is scheduled to vote on this Friday?

I might have read it wrong but their having a house committee on rules meeting 1300 eastern time. Don’t know if their voting tomorrow or just viewing a few bills in preparation for a vote at a later date.

1 Like

I believe they’re discussing it. Sometimes they’ll lump a bunch of bills together that are all sort of related. The fact it’s in there is awesome in itself. Gaining traction.

3 Likes