Wildland Firefighter Entry Level Pay

Info on the new budget.

3 Likes

The cornerstone of the Administration’s long-term reforms is a permanent increase in pay through authorization of a special base rate salary table that will permanently increase pay for Federal wildland firefighters and a new premium pay category for all wildland fire incident responders to provide some additional compensation for all hours, including rest and sleep time, when they are mobilized on incidents. These pay reforms will increase Federal wildland firefighters’ base pay to provide a more livable wage and address long-term competitiveness and equity issues to improve recruitment outcomes and stabilize retention. Additionally, the 2024 Budget proposal establishes a wildland firefighter pay cap, including all premium and hazards pay, that can be waived by each Secretary using specific criteria. The special base rate table will be applied to all Federal wildland firefighters. It will raise base pay for firefighters on a sliding scale at all grades. For example, entry-level firefighters at grade GS-3 will receive a pay increase of 36 percent, and our most senior firefighters, at grades GS-15, will receive an increase of 1.5 percent. The portal-toportal premium pay will be applied to all Federal wildland fire incident responders when mobilized on an incident at a rate equal to half of the employee’s base pay rate. These pay reforms will build on the reforms Congress provided with interim funding in the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.

2 Likes

Great intel. Keep it coming.

1 Like

With the exception of it not counting towards retirement, the pay supplement has been a pretty good deal. If the pay chart above is close to what is finalized it will be interesting to see how it impacts retention. I’m sure some people will have to work more OT to make the same dollar amount they have been receiving during the pay supplement.

2 Likes

I have done the math on this up to about the GS 9 level. It is roughly a $5 p/hr pay increase which equates to $10,400 salary increase for base hours throughout the year up to the GS-9 level.
This is definitely a start but it will hurt receiving a pay reduction sometime next fall going from $750 retention incentive to $400 pay increase for base pay.
Hopefully the P2P will off balance this deduction. We will see what happens in the coming months about what the final text will look like. I would like retirement and other items will be addressed. Thanks for all the info folks and take care of yourselves.

Agree. Needs to be higher. At least to the BIL retention dollar level for those mid graded employees. Entry level starting pay should be $21.

If that’s there numbers it is very disappointing but after 25 years in I’ve learned to expect them to treat their employees as unskilled throwaway replaceable

2 Likes

any word on high 3 retirement calculations going from just base salary to include OT/Hazard pay compensation?

I haven’t heard an update on OT or H counting towards retirement, however the new FFer salary table will count towards 3-high retirement.

3 Likes

I would agree. We do need to remember these are draft percentages and numbers that are coming out, still time for providing feedback to leadership, associations and unions on what is being leaked.

4 Likes

In case you missed the biggest update. NFFE and GRWFFs had a joint update in the AnchorPoint Podcast

2 Likes

As Max said, this is another tool. Pick up your tool and use it. Get involved. Don’t let them ever forget you’re out there. Control the narrative.

Thanks for sharing the podcast.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Need to figure out that pay scale

1 Like

Less money? Yea sure we can do that. Make sure you pay us in rainbows while your at it

2 Likes

Tonight is the Grassroots Wildland Firefighters meeting to talk about the FY ‘24 budget proposal. It starts at 5:30 pm PST.
Here is the link to join via zoom if interested.

3 Likes

Update!

NFFE officials & Grassroots Reps will be in DC this next week! Lobbying congress to ensure the presidents budget language remains in the budget! They’ll be there for the week. Now is the time to write our more fiscally conservative members of congress to ensure they vote for your lively hood!

No update as far as a continuing resolution in regards to the BIL. So Sept 2023 is still the “end all” date.

There will be more trips to The Hill this year.

The FAIR ACT is currently in the hopper. We need EVERYONE TO WRITE!

Below is a link that’ll set you up for success.

2 Likes

HrryupNw8, do you know if the new FFer pay scale requires congressional approval to be implemented?

1 Like