Wildland Firefighter Entry Level Pay

:100: agree.

Although not totally convinced we will shutdown, I think Mike’s Johnson will fold and allow a clean cr.

2 Likes
1 Like

Had a thought on the 1262 post of this thread. When I was a Fed, I was in maintenance and was still considered essential during the shutdown. Still got paid on time, same as everyone else that wasn’t and went home. Wouldn’t a FF be the same? Has this been covered in this topic? Cheers

1 Like

If you were paid on time during a shutdown that was long enough to miss a check, you may have been exempt and funded with non-appropriated funds (perm and trust funds, visitor fees, etc). Most of the federal wildland folks would not be paid until the end of a lapse in funding, whether or not they have to work (excepted rather than exempt). Additionally, right now the pay supplement ends at the same time the CR does, so not only will folks not know when they will get paid, they are looking at the potential for a $20,000/year pay cut.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t read too much into polls and the opinions of pundits. National news media is always going to have an interest in narrating a game with a close score that goes into overtime, to keep you on the edge of your seat, with eyes on the advertisements. Commentators are then going to be motivated to end their paid segments with stay tuned, because that is consistent with goals that prioritize eyes on the show over votes that are good for the country, like the Tim Hart Act.

1 Like

Let me add one thing, add an email and phone number for your references…holy moly you are making it difficult for reviewers with minimal info. It’s pretty clear the quality of applications is getting lower each year.

3 Likes

The House draft CR to be voted on Tuesday if they can whip a majority.

Although an extension of the retention bonuses can’t be found searching the document, it’s likely embedded with language related to the bonus, possibly connected to the previous cr or public law.

If you find it, please pass info along.

3 Likes

I was wrong, sorry…no shutdown (yea!) for now (:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:). 99% of the minority party in House voted to continue paying Federal FFs their paychecks (until the end of Jan :thinking:) on the bill the majority party drafted thus passing the bill (CR). 43% of the majority party in the House voted to stop paying Federal FFs and close the govt until they get their way. The CR looks to continue status quo, not sure if this means the retention bonuses will continue, however at least you won’t be without a paycheck (for 2 months, they do this all over again end of Jan). Pretty crappy for all those employees trying to live their lives.

4 Likes

So, you seem to indicate the CR was strictly about the Fed FF’s. I think that there is a tad bit more to it than that.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure we all understand what tumblewwed meant, the immediately relevant info to those on this page are the continuation of f.f. retention pay, as well as continuous funding of gov until mid Jan. Clearly there is WAY more in the C.R., but to address all wording in the C.R. would be irrelevant and way to much to cover.

2 Likes

The pay will continue with the new CR. The interesting part of it is they will be using suppression funds to keep the pay going.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks for the patience everyone! As everyone knows by now. They kicked the Can down the road. Jan 17th is the new date. I expect our bill to stay in limbo till the can actually pass a budget. Not a Continuing Resolution. Lots of infighting between Republicans have lead them to become a minority in the house. This last CR was averted with a bipartisan vote. The majority being Dems to pass it.

Both the WFPPA and Tim Hart are still on the forefront. We have the next year to pass them both before we have to start all over again with a new Congress.

If you leave to greener pastures. PLEASE take your exit interview. Write in your resignation letter that pay and work schedules, etc were the reasoning for leaving. This will help the future.

8 Likes

Incredibly ungrateful behavior, imo. The whole amount of money in either of those bills is a drop in the bucket of a 5 trillion-dollar yearly budget. I have no idea who those people are talking to for advice, I don’t know that I want to know.

Be very careful about advice, especially psychological advice. The internet, and groups of various types and kinds, can sometimes be chock full of individuals who read a book on a psychological topic of some kind, typically how to find psychological advantage in business and marketing, and then a couple chapters of Marcus Aurelius and think they are qualified to practice clinical psychology. Don’t fall for it. The Socratic Method, commonly used by clinical psychologists and a product of stoic philosophy, was developed by a Greek soldier whose retreating army were experts in ambush. The Method can be used to help an individual, in what wise you have it, open up about things, but it can also be used in cultish and negligent ways to exploit hurt.

I say this as a person who was in the Katrina lower 9th Ward, security, carpentry, superintending local contractors and salvage, housing, and hazmat crews at a few surviving structures in the strange Toyland of the breach. Many features in common with Lahaina and Camp. Big events. Well-meaning, benign, and destructive advice; disaster victims, assistance workers, national guard police in wartime. Sometimes, it ended in violence and tragedy. Sometimes, this ‘counsel’ cost victims and responders’ healthcare and pay. By the hundreds, by the thousands. From around the world.

Zone to zone. 6 months at this Department, or this State partner, martial law, FEMA, DoD,…4 months there, with longer term housing, family or military engagements. Then you go to a Big Event and you’re in a marathon with apps and spotty Wi-Fi to keep your real life going out of the zone, and this ride can dump you like a wild mustang, burn you, break you and drop you on one bad shift. One terrible, unlucky and life changing shift without a safety net.

Do what’s right for you, and yours, and if a ‘counselor’ gets stuck on common-sense objections or criticisms of the advice they give, take a step back and shop around a little bit, and if they give you an ultimatum, I’d say the therapeutic relationship is over. Just the doing of that puts your own personal and individual agency back in your control, where it belongs, which can be a psychological relief in itself.

Self-entitled ‘counselors’ do not have to have malevolent intent to simply be wrong, too needy of validation for themselves, or unwilling to let go of their own religious/political objections to the clinical licensing process and its demands.

Good luck.

1 Like
5 Likes

Federal firefighters await pay fate - The Chief?

6 Likes

Good catch on the second article. Just a couple typos in there. But I think the message gets across

1 Like

I specifically like the way the issues and logical solutions are presented in the second article. The only thing I find strange is that the former director for Cal Fire is the one doing most of the articulation. We need a spokesperson to articulate that to congress and the citizens.
I know we have the union spearheading this now. He just made some good points. If you don’t front the money now, you’re going to have to pay double later. And I’m not an amazing scholar but I’m pretty sure when it comes down to spending, lawmakers are all ears.

2 Likes

Well it’s official got my start date and it got real never dreamed I’d be putting in my two week notice to the job I loved but times change and change is good stay strong to those that are sticking behind

6 Likes

Do we have any federal fire stations or federal facilities with federal firefighters in them within Calaveras, Merced or Stanislaus counties?

1 Like