Wildland Resource Information (Terminology and References)

My intent with this topic is to consolidate information regarding Wildland Firefighting terminology, definitions, protocols and any other information useful to both the Wildland Firefighters or General Public trying to understand the “Lingo”. My hope is that it will resemble a “topic” which existed on the previous site (wildlandfire.com) where one could resource useful information on things such as:

Where is the boundary of NorthOps and SouthOps? What is a Type 3 Engine ? What is the difference between a Strike Team and a Task force ? How many apparatus and type in a specific unit (CA) or region (Fed)?

Much of this already exists within various incident discussions and I am hoping to get it all together for easy access. For example, there is an excellent current General Discussion topic on IMT (Fed and CA) make up and assignment protocols. Some information can be found under Site Feedback - Links. Having one place that can identify the best “Link” could be useful to many.

I am not real tech savvy so would welcome any feedback on the best way/location/methods of making this information readily accessible for all.

10 Likes

To give an idea of the magnitude of the problem, I decided to tackle just the questions you listed. North Ops vs. South Ops, and Type III engines. This is like eating one potato chip.

North Ops & South Ops

https://gacc.nifc.gov/oncc/

North Ops is in Redding, CA and covers Northern California from the state line down to approximately Sacramento.

oncc_map

https://gacc.nifc.gov/oscc/

South Ops is in Riverside, CA and covers the rest of California.

oscc_map

The California Interagency Mobilization Guide covers many administrative details. California Mobilization Guide

This graphic shows the approximate boundary between North Ops and South Ops.

Type III Engines

Fire units are ‘typed’ according to the standards of the NWCG or National Wildfire Coordinating Group. Specifics are available here: NWCG Standards for Wildland Fire Resource Typing, PMS 200 | NWCG

A type III engine has a nominal tank capacity of 500 gallons, a pump minimum flow of 150 gallons per minute at 250 PSI, and carries at least ten (10) sticks of 1 1/2 inch fire hose. To count as type, it must be capable of spraying while moving (“pump and roll”), equipped with foam, and carry at least 3 wildland firefighters. In practice, a type III had best be all wheel drive.

One manufacturer has examples here: Types of Fire Trucks: An Overview and Comparison

Strike Team vs. Task Force

This is a concept covered in the Incident Command System (ICS) aka the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and addressed in FEMA ICS / NIMS classes such as -100, -200 etc. [original graphic edited, thanks IMT_Geek]

Type & Apparatus in Units (CA) or Regions (FS)

Varies widely enough that an attempt at a list would itself be a many page document. Or consult WildCad or IROC or firedepartment.net or your local fire organization Web site or … [not exactly one potato chip]

https://scancal.org/ has some very useful background and reference information but has not been updated since 2016.

7 Likes

To muddy the water ever so slightly. Strike Teams are not necessarily always 5. Dozer Strike Teams are two dozers, A Crew strike teams is not the number of crews, but the number of crew members (minimum of 26), plus their leader. An ambulance Strike team is 5 ambulances plus their leader and common communications. Those are the only fairly “universally recognized” strike teams. However, trying to order resources in a strike team configuration outside of California will often result in a telephone call and a request to order as single increments.

4 Likes

I sit corrected. To quote ICS-200 exactly: IS-0200.c Basic Incident Command System for Initial Response, ICS 200

" Additional Resource Terminology

The following terms apply to resources:

• A Task Force is a combination of mixed resources with common communications operating under the direct supervision of a Task Force Leader.
  • A Strike Team / Resource Team is a set number of resources of the same kind and type with common communications operating under the direct supervision of a Strike Team Leader. A Strike Team may also be referred to as a Resource Team by law enforcement.
  • A Single Resource is an individual, a piece of equipment and its personnel complement, or a crew or team of individuals with an identified work supervisor that can be used on an incident."

4 Likes

Personally, I think this is a great topic. It might be slow now, but at the end of the season (IS it going to end?) it will be a great discussion and learning topic. Good job on starting it, I look forward to it and will contribute if I can.

6 Likes

Would a pdf that lists all the Alert Wildfire cams be of help to anyone? I got a bit weary of clicking on various regions in an attempt to find a cam that I’m unfamiliar with so I created a down 'n dirty laundry list of the cams/regions. It’s searchable so you can enter “Owens” and find that it’s in the Sierra region. Much quicker to find it that way than scrolling on the Alert site itself (at least for me it is). Can also be printed to keep handy of course. In a perfect world, I’d have included hyperlinks but my carpal tunnel said absolutely not. :slight_smile:
Alert Wildfire Cams List.pdf (151.3 KB)

8 Likes

Thank you to all for responding. As we begin to collect information and links we can resolve the best way to organize and reference it on the site.

The list of cams now available on AlertWildfire is very impressive and very helpful when making the initial response to an area you may not be familiar with (I am a CWN/dozer and have often worked in areas that are new to me).

The information on strike team/task force gives me a better understanding of who I might be working with.

Thanks to all the mods for keeping this very valuable resource available to all of us.

1 Like

You might want to look thru the FireSocpe FOG, has all kinds of information on how ICS works. It is a little old but still has good information. It is downloadable to you handheld device
https://firescope.caloes.ca.gov/fog-manual

5 Likes

As a member of the GP, a link for the unit abbreviations, such as MEU, LNU, etc., if such does not already exist.

2 Likes

Edit: Sorry, that’s hard to read as a JPEG. Here’s a link to the original:

7 Likes

There is also an app for the FOG manual to download on your phone or tablet.

1 Like

More technical language.

Fire Weather

“Fire Weather Watch”

Issued when weather conditions could exist in the next 12 to 72 hours. A Fire Weather Watch is one level below a Warning, but fire danger is still high. Could include low relative humidity, strong winds, possibility of dry lightning strikes.

“Red Flag Warning”

Issued for weather events which may result in extreme fire behavior that will occur within 24 hours. Extreme caution is urged by all residents because a single spark can cause a major wildfire. Potential for extreme fire behavior.

Source: Welcome to Red Flag Warnings & Fire Weather Watches
Video: Did you Know Red Flag - YouTube

Evacuation Terminology

Evacuation Order

Immediate threat to life. This is a lawful order to leave now. The area is lawfully closed to public access. [CA Penal Code § 409.5 ]

[ The danger is IMMINENT and SERIOUSLY IMPERILS or ENDANGERS the lives of those in the defined area! ]

“Generally residents will not be forcibly removed from their own property however those found to be on public property including roadways and public parks may be subject to removal from the area. Once out of the area, the general public (including residents) will not be permitted to return until conditions permit.” – Ventura County OES, Fire & Sheriff joint memo, 6/1/2020

“Evacuation Warning” Potential threat to life and/or property. Those who require additional time to evacuate, and those with pets or livestock should leave now. [The threat is not yet imminent, but residents are advised to prepare for the issuance of an Evacuation Order. Persons with mobility impairments.]

Shelter In Place” Go indoors. Shut and lock doors and windows. Prepare to self-sustain until further notice and/or contacted by emergency personnel for additional direction.

Evacuation Order(s) Lifted” The formal announcement of lifting evacuations in an area currently under evacuation.

Source: CAL-OES Memo, 15 May 2020, “Standard Statewide Evacuation Terminology”
http://calalerts.org/evacuations.html
Ventura County OES, Fire & Sheriff joint memo, 6/1/2020
https://www.toaks.org/home/showpublisheddocument?id=28012

Traffic Control Terminology

Hard Road Closure - Closed to all traffic except Fire and Law Enforcement.

Soft Road Closure - Closed to all traffic except Fire, Law Enforcement & critical incident resources (i.e. Utility, CalTrans, City/County Roads, etc. or those needed to repair or restore infrastructure.

Resident Only Closure - Soft closure with the additional allowance of residents and local government agencies assisting with response and recovery. Documentation may be required.

Sig Alert” CalTrans: any traffic incident that will tie up two or more lanes of a freeway for two or more hours. CHP: any unplanned event that causes the closing of one lane of traffic for 30 minutes or more.

Lane Closure - Individual lanes will be closed. Lanes are numbered from the median to the outside shoulder. (i.e. Left shoulder, #1 lane, #2 lane, #3 lane, right shoulder.)

One-Way Closure - Traffic will be controlled by flaggers who will direct motorists to stop or continue; only one direction of traffic can go at a time. Expect delays and follow directions of traffic control personnel.

Long Term Closure - A lane or road closure scheduled for more than 24 hours.

Media Access - Media may not interfere with emergency response, nor may media enter a secured crime scene. “Nothing in this section shall prevent a duly authorized representative of any news service, newspaper, or radio or television station or network from entering the areas closed pursuant to this section.” [CA Penal Code § 409.5 (d) ]

Traffic Source: CAL-OES Memo, 15 May 2020, “Standard Statewide Evacuation Terminology”
CalTrans: FAQs | Caltrans

3 Likes
4 Likes

Much of what has been requested is in the FireScope FOG. It includes resource kinds and types, agency identifiers and more. The iPhone version is okay. The Apple Books version is almost unreadable on my computer because of formatting issues.

3 Likes

If you mean the Wildlandfire.com started long ago by ABs was a great site. Easy to maneuver and the info pages for acronyms, glossary and book and Hotlist was the bomb. I built my fire Library with most of those books.
I was FireMom in that group. Memories. I see some names here that remind me of folks there.

3 Likes

Fortunately, there is still archive.org so a lot of that could be salvaged if someone had the time and inclination:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050801000000*/wildlandfire.com

Here’s the 2005 FAQ:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050728105045/http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/faq.htm

1 Like

I’m humbled this was linked, for this topic the better spot is probably deeper here Scan CALFIRE radio Correct a lot of this wording hasn’t been updated in maybe 10+ years, but a lot still stands true minus a technicality here or there (stats on a Type 3 engine, etc). Written to help decipher what a scanner listener would hear on a major incident. The dang freq info hasn’t been touched for a while. I deal with it all the time in day job, I don’t want to deal with it here haha. I’ll bring it up to speed sometime soon.

4 Likes