66 Hour Work Week

All of this bitching and complaining is a big part of why I’m ready to hang it up after 30 years. It’s draining and next MOU agreement we will do the same thing, just like the previous bargaining cycle. More power to you if you still have the energy for it. Nothing wrong with it, I’m just done doing it. It’s great to ask questions but let’s face it, we love to complain with no real answer and possibly, we are addicted to the drama of it all.

11 Likes
4 Likes

Be interesting to see how this shakes out:

Summary of Agreement with Bargaining Unit 8 07-01-2022 through 06-30-2024.pdf (ca.gov)

"If the Governor declares a fiscal emergency and General Fund moneys over the
multiyear forecasts beginning in the 2024-2025 Governor’s Budget are not
available to support the reduction to a 66-hour duty week on an ongoing basis,
including the estimate of direct costs and any increases in the cost of overtime
driven by the proposal, the parties agree to reopen this provision regarding how
and when to implement this section. "

3 Likes

:100: correct
But the Governor hasn’t/won’t declare the fiscal emergency. Doing that suspends several different bargaining units contracts scheduled raises. Health care workers were supposed to see their minimum wage rise in June 1, that has been delayed to ateast July 1.

The new budget deal, further delays the medical worker minimum wage till October 15, 2024 due to ongoing funding shortfall . Even the Oct 15 date is subject to delay till Jan 1 if funding revenue falls short of projections.

Additionally, California Minimum wage is pegged to the CPI and continues to rise $0.50 per year every January by state law.

The budget signed, still doesn’t have the final details. With several trailer bills being required to be passed.

3 Likes

Unless I’m missing something, this article says he declared a fiscal emergency yesterday, 6/22. I would not be surprised if this were all smoke and mirrors.
Newsom, lawmakers use cuts, reserves and ‘fiscal emergency’ declaration to solve budget deficit

2 Likes

Organized labor negotiating teams are working hard to make sure it all happens as originally was agreed too. Newsom is NOT and honest man.

5 Likes

Yup, it appears he declared the fiscal emergency yesterday in order to tap the rainy day fund and delay the promised minimum wage increase for health care workers he signed into law last September. He also moved the goal post by adding a requirement that revenues come in 3% above FY 24 Q1 projections or that Oct delay, becomes a Jan 1 date that if I were a betting man will continue to be pushed off.

Newsom and dishonest is redundant.

Let’s see… he made a bunch of deals to avoid being recalled and then failed to deliver. Yep, as expected.

2 Likes

“But the Governor hasn’t/won’t declare the fiscal emergency”???

Actually he did according to this article and all of info in the previous articles listed above.

2 Likes

Something seems fishy. Wouldn’t this big bigger news if so? Only one media outlet posting this (LA TIMES), and nothing official from the state?

1 Like

LA Times pretty official, I mean better than the National Enquirer , most likely have a lobbyist or inside person for the info. NPR radio mentioned it this AM.
Plus deal reached Saturday, tomorrow it’ll start trickling from KCRA 3 down my guess.

1 Like

When you want to bury a story, you release the news on a Friday. In this case a Saturday. The majority of Americans (Californian’s)
Don’t pay attention to the news.

LaTimes & Cal Matters both have story’s.
Finally, it has been mentioned several times in this tread that in order for the Gov to suspended minimum wage laws or tap the rainy day fund. A fiscal emergency had to be declared.

ALL COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS have a clause with similar language. It is how everyone in the state took a 10% pay cut in 2020 during Covid-19

2 Likes

I believe in 2020 BU8 actually came out ahead because of the 10% pay cut. I forget how it broke down exactly, but it wasn’t as bad as it sounded.

1 Like

Had to work 100+hr of unplanned OT to get no loss of $$ from your gross 12 day work schedule.

Staffing was so short + the 2020 Fire Season was so busy. It was a net gain afterthe 100+ hr pf unplanned OT a person worked. But there was a larger than normal number of retirements due to not losing thise 3%@50 last year retirement calculations. I personally know about a half dozen that abruptly retired before June 30, 2020.

2 Likes

Can you explain this? (4 extra day per pay period? per 12 day?, per year?)

I don’t doubt it was higher, but why would that be dependent upon the loss of the 3% @50 formula? That loss doesn’t affect anyone hired before the loss.

I agree with DivisionZulu - something looks fishy. The LA Times article is the only source that mentions a declaration of fiscal emergency. I don’t have any evidence to dispute this, but the reporter may be in error. I don’t see this mentioned on CalMatters or elsewhere, apart from LA Times copypasta. I try to get my information from first-hand sources, which is exactly why I am here - thanks for all of your information.

1 Like

Iwent to Ca.gov, clicked on the governors page, clicked on the budget announcement (this link) and if you scroll down and open the overview pdf it states right in it that they are pulling 5 and 7 billion over two years from reserves. This requires an emergency declaration from the governor to do. Nothing fishy, just terrible management. Yes the 10% wasnt as hard felt for Cal Fire as other departments but it still pulled money from my pocket and food from my table.

3 Likes

At my rank and pay rate. I didn’t get back to “break even” what i made before the 10% reduction till I worked 100(think it was 112hr) of unplanned OT. So I had to work 16.5 days to make what I did working 12 days. After that it was a pay raise because of the 53hr clock correction.