66 Hour Work Week

Where does forcey bear come into play here? In the early implementation of the 66 before the personnel is hired to support it? Oh no, I’m going to be forced to work the original hours I was previously scheduled to work? So basically, my old schedule but with more pay? Sounds terrible…

9 Likes

4 Likes

For those of us who have been signing up for 10 days of OT just to get awarded 1 of them yes so upsetting :rage: we have to get awarded (regular time) OT. :joy:
It’s only a matter of time when people start saying 2 days straight is too much work…

3 Likes

Really Curious to what the new CC and HFEO schedules look like

4 Likes

Human nature
Equals the least amount of work for the most amount of pay.
How do you explain TicToc/YouTube/IG Social Media influences
Or people selling Pic’s of their feet?

Who pays for feet pictures :rofl:

4 Likes
5 Likes
1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m not seeing anything about Calfire in there

4 Likes

So did the Powers that be officially kick the can down the road for a few weeks for the passed balanced budget?
Continuing resolution on Californias Budget?
I figured there would be quite a bit of hysteria and political talk today. Anyone copy, C’mon.

2 Likes

Legislature passed a budget

However, it was just to.meet the Constitutional deadline of Today, June 15 so they continue to get paid.

The final budget, is yet to be sighed by the governor. However, in the event the existing agreement does not get replaced and approved by a new collective bargaining agreement by June 30, 2024. State law takes over and the existing agreement gets automatically extended by 1yr. This includes the 66hr work week beginning November 1, 2024.

What that schedule looks like?
How will salaries be effected?
:man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

I would ask your local L2881 representative :grin::rofl:

4 Likes

Regardless of what the schedule looks like. The staffing won’t be in place for some time and everyone’s getting OT for a day they were already previously scheduled.

2 Likes

Yup
And unless something changes. That extra day of OT won’t be PERSable and the EDWC will go from 76hr a PP to 52hr a PP.

3 Likes

Where is that stated? Also, the union is actively bargaining with a 56hr/no loss in comp in sight, so once that’s settled the 66 should be on par with that.

Has there been a vote on a new agreement?
The existing agreement expires in 15 days. When the existing agreement expires and no new agreement is voted upon and in place. By state law the existing agreement is AUTOMATICALLY extended 1yr. That is the brilliance of the 66hr in this agreement that expires in 15 days. However, the Dept of Finance has been on record for DECADES that if you don’t work it, you don’t get paid for it. So when the work week gets reduced by 6hr per week. That is 6hr leas of FSLA OT being counted towards EDWC. Put another way, unplanned OT is not currently used for PERSable compensation purposes. So no new agreement, existing agreement is extended. The union and the dept are both on record for “no loss in compensation” and in the last 6wk
“No Loss in PERSable compensation” has been the story.

Finally the Legislature just passed a budget (holding/temporary) that reduces CDCR budget by $1 Billion due to the growing budget deficit.

Hating been through not one, but two different times where IOUS’s were issued to ALL STATE employees in the last 30yr.

I’m old enough to know and understand there is a difference between “no loss in compensation” and “no Loss in PERSable compensation” its the latter language that is MISSING FROM THE CURRENT MOU.

4 Likes

The union people I have been talking to are preaching no loss in compensation. But when I ask about the loss of 24 hrs of EDWIC they just shrug their shoulders and slowly slink away. The 24 hours a month translates to about 1k less a month of in come on a 72hr week. How will that effect my retirement when I retire?

2 Likes

All provisions of the existing the current agreement remain in place until and new agreement is reached. Not automatically renewed for one year…
Why would we have what we want to bargain for in the MOU? Try the C&OP. No loss is PERSable income is what we want. How does that happen? Any number of ways.

3 Likes

Try this on for a formula:

HR= Hourly Rate
BP = Base Pay
OT = Overtime Hourly Rate

53 divisor was agreed upon in the 20 side letter.
4.33 is the weekly divisor for CAL FIRE work periods

Calculate First.

CALCULATION 1

((BP/4.33) /53)= HR
HR x 1.5 = OT

OT x 76= EDWC

Now……

24 x OT = Total to deduct from EDWC. Roll this into your base pay.

Do CALCULATION 1 again with new base pay.

((BP/4.33) /53)= HR
HR x 1.5 = OT

OT x 52 (New EDWC HOURS MINUS THE 24) = EDWC

Your EDWC will decline but base pay will increase. This will just about be a wash in comparison to what you currently make. In some cases you may see a bump in pay. This would be the only way to have “no loss in compensation” and still have a PERS benefit.

4 Likes

Solid Formulas, thanks, still working on understanding it though. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

SHU brought the issue to Edward’s at their District meeting during convention. Edward said we need a 10% raise, to off set the EDWC for the 66, “ 1 less day a month “. When was the last time we received a 10% raise, all at once. Not little bread crumbs increments. And if the 66 is truly in Legislation. Why would the Dept. give us a 10% raise. I hope I’m wrong.

4 Likes

Great to see that we’re 6 months and 180 posts into this thread and we’re still asking the same questions that were not only being pondered in the first few posts of this thread, but have been heavily debated since the concept of a 66 was first announced in the tentative agreement two years ago.

The fact is, there is no news because the state is still trying to figure out what the question is…let alone starting to come up with any answers.

The MOU expires in two weeks, but everyone knows the state won’t let there be a new agreement reached until the last minute in August, just like has happened so many times before.

Then it’ll be a rush job to get it ratified during the peak of fire season and neither the membership or the legislature will have time to fully understand what they’re voting on.

It just reinforces the old adage that we can only move at the speed of government.

6 Likes