66 Hour Work Week

Since this is such a huge change in our Department, optimistic caution is warranted. Ask as many questions as you can, and when you don’t get an answer it’s important to ask why. What is the “why” behind all of this and how do we move forward. Because it’s obvious we aren’t going backwards. Don’t be afraid to say no if it’s not transparent for you. As the first day of the fiscal year is now upon us, and I heard from several managers that they have been working to implement the 66 hour work week for awhile, now is the time to ask, what is the plan for all that work that was put in?

3 Likes

It’s not just “one extra day off a month” that we’re gaining. We’re hiring an entire third platoon so that when we go to the table for the next contract cycle and ask for a 48/96 and the department says “how many will we need to hire to implement that”? We can say, you already did it. The 66 is a 5 year plan to build the foundation for a 48/96. Yeah, I agree we don’t want to lose anything, and I know that is the goal. Some people just don’t realize what a heavy lift it is to get approval to hire a third platoon to the tune of 3000+ employees, and the benefits we will reap from that in the future when it comes to our next contract cycle.

2 Likes

I think people get it, the question is not about what where working towards as much as what we lose (if any) to get there. It’s not an abstract or outlandish question. It’s just a sharing of information that the personnel would like more information about and a reasonable request for clarity. Nothing against all the work that has been done, and quite frankly very appreciated. But there is still work in front of us. Questions should not be obscured or ignored from membership. All members questions have the possibility of leading to other questions that were not a part of the original conversation. As 2881 we should be encouraging each other to find and share vetted information, while holding ourselves and our representatives accountable. They are our voices. When we doubt and divide ourselves, we take our eyes off of the accountability that is entrusted in the hands of others. Not just 2881 but also Managers of CAL FIRE.

It has been a long road to this point, we need to stay together more than ever.

6 Likes

If you truly wanted to know, I’m sure you can do a public records act request. All state info is public information, almost all.

I agree, I don’t think that anyone is being ignored. There’s obviously ins and outs of what the new schedule/contract/compensation will look like that are being bargained on right now. We all know the bargaining team is under an NDA and that disseminating info too early is bad practice. I think in due time we will start to see the details. A records request won’t do anything since this is union info, not public information until it’s agreed upon and put in place my 2881.

2 Likes

Agreed, I meant a PRA for any documentation on the state side. There has to be drafts etc.

3 Likes

This is my take on things. I hope I’m wrong but. My read of no loss of compensation is at base salary, that number will stay the same or some small raise n this new contract. I see the loss of 24 hrs of EDWC gong from a 72-66 hrs work week, or 24 hrs of OT EDWC per pay period. Purely my thoughts, but we will have some kind of takeaway at the table. Plus some vacation time or the way we accrue vacation hours in the future.

2 Likes

I have a buddy, whos wife’s barging unit is currently in negotiations also(not seiu). They get almost weekly update after every bargaining sessions. I thought this was strange since I thought all negotiations were private. Is this not the case, or is 2881 just following the rules, by not disclosing things?

2 Likes

Well generally the only time information is kept private, is due to the fact that others may not like it

1 Like

That’s a ridiculous statement. What benefit do they have to keep things hidden other than controlling the rumor mill before things are finalized? Come on, let’s be realistic here.

3 Likes

I will admit I am a pessimist but humor me. Lets say base pay stays the same, EDWC get cut by 24hrs a pay period, but for some unforeseen reason the department can’t hire the 3rd platoon (training shortages, unavailable workforce, emergency budget cuts, avian flue 2024) and all current employees just work more “OT” to fill in the blanks from the missing 66 hour personnel. So essentially we are all working the same hours, making the same amount of money as we currently are, but our PERSABLE income is reduces, because what use to be EDWC has now been replaced with OT hours. Not to mention the 20% increase in health insurance that as of the current timeframe we no longer receive the $260 monthly stipend for, was not PERSABLE, but it did increase EDWC that is PERSABLE. Sounds like the 66 is working out pretty good for the state actually

4 Likes

I am being realistic and I don’t believe my statement to be ridiculous, but indeed that is my opinion. I have not seen a single agreement period when something was given without something else being taken away. Yes the Bargaining team is trying to control the rumor mill and rightfully so, but with all of the correspondence, all of the messages about making headway on the 66, everything that has been published in the last year, no actual information about the 66 hour work week has been released. To me that is a red flag, why is a union body pushing so hard for something that is so unknown.

3 Likes

Yup
That loss of $260/month is 3.95% pay cut as of today 7/1. Not including the $260 isn’t used for the EDWC, Unplanned OT rate calculation. In my case that’s an additional $1.61/hour OT pay cut.
1.61 x 76 = $122.35 + $260 = $382.35 in reduced wages
Or
A pay cut if 5.6 %.
Which means the 6.5% GS increase we got the last 2 years is completely wiped out and ends if being 0.60% increase since the original contract expired.

If you think about it snd do the math, we need at least a 12-15% GS increase while working 1 less day per PP or 13 less days per year just to break even.

This doesn’t account for inflation or the 25% increase the members costs for medical insurance.

Finally, the total number of new employees needed when you factor in the 02350 side plus the SCH A and Amador side of the dept is closer to 4,000 employees. Or 800 employees per year for the 5 year plan to work.
That’s 800 new Voting member
800 new JAC employees
800 additional employees that need required JAC Classes.

3 Likes

The questions being asked now were the ones I asked during voting on this contract. I could not get an answer then or now. Short version I got from chapter leadership was vote yes we will figure this all out later, do not worry about the nuts and bolts. 13 hrs of EWIC per p.p. times 13 pay periods per year is a lot of money. I have to stay about 3 more years before I can retire. I could take a good sized hit when I go.

4 Likes

A pay cut will equal a big departure from CAL FIRE for retirement. Which further increases the need for bodies. But if got some info we wouldn’t all be wondering right now.

3 Likes

I know a few people that are going to punch out if we loose a chunk of EDWC money. That is a lot of experience that will leave.

1 Like

We are talking 66, will you lose more at 56? Sounds dumb, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

2 Likes

Who says we’re losing anything? That’s a negative way to look at it. The industry standard is 48/96 and it’s imperative to match this to maintain recruitment potential and retain employees from jumping ship to local gov. They don’t all leave for money alone. The schedule is a huge benefit in the eyes of many.

1 Like

Well at least we know CAL JAC and L2881 are coming out on the up and up. JAC because now it will require to pay obscene amounts of money for a majority of classes no one benefits from other than the JAC coffers. And L2881 because with every 800 new permanent employees that equals an additional 1.3 million in Union dues each year.

When we are told that the 66 is now enshrined and statute but we don’t receive any other information on the real nuts & bolts (EDWC, Vacation, PERSABLE Income, Approved Duty Schedule, pretty much anything), I realize how little I know about bargaining. It seems to me that would be the things I would be figuring out before coming to an agreement, enshrining it and making it statute.

Fingers crossed that once it is brought to membership, a lot of information is presented to us.

3 Likes

But how many folks do you know that have jumped ship to LG for the schedule AND a pay cut? I don’t know of any personally. It’s always for better pay and less days.

2 Likes