66 Hour Work Week

It’s rarely for less pay. Let’s be honest.

1 Like

I’m Just trying to afford a $10 can of Copenhagen after this contract.

8 Likes

this longhorn is killing me

4 Likes

Maybe someone swapped my brain for a room temperature uncrustable,
but part of this discussion isn’t making sense to me.

If someone is eligible to retire now or in the near future from Cal Fire, that person’s pension formula is very likely 3% at 50. Other scenarios are possible, such as late career open-list hire, or someone who cashed out and reinstated at one of the later formulas, but this isn’t the norm for most.

If someone is 3% at 50, the formula considers the highest paid year, not an average of multiple years, or the last year worked if it wasn’t the highest.

Those of us not eligible to retire any time soon should probably be concerned about the EDWC since our “highest paid year” or “highest paid three years” in terms of pensionable compensation would normally happen late in our careers, but how does a change in EDWC now create a pay cut in retirement for someone leaving in the next year or two with 3% at 50? It would mean their last year worked isn’t likely to be their highest pensionable compensation, even if the forthcoming contract somehow ekes out a raise in addition to the reduced work week, yes. Does it actually reduce retirement benefits based on their current highest paid year in some way I am missing?

3 Likes

For anyone at the retirement age or is going to hit the retirement age during this next agreement, if there is a loss in PERS income, then all they are working for is 3% more of their highest year. Instead of retaining those individuals, I can see a lot retiring and getting another job that is easier on themselves while pulling that paycheck as well as their retirement.

When the cost of living/inflation is outpacing whatever “raises” we negotiated in the last contract and with this contract there possibly being no “raises” associated with it, why would someone stick around.

1 Like

Not to mention the (almost always) automatic COLAs to the retirement check.

In a local gov dept I’m aware of, a 10 year retired BC made more than a current one due to retiree COLAs and lack of the same for the active employees.

2 Likes

I retired in December 2003 and my recent COLA was about 50% of my first full retirement check.

4 Likes

I retired 2008. Got my 2% cola every year. For 5 years the people still working didn’t get anything due to bad economy. I was living good! Since then, they more than made up for it in a big way!!! Because, that is the way it works! Economy turned around and tax base increased. So did the pay. I don’t know of very many people that have done better unless they have a 5% cola. Those are pretty rare and expensive.

1 Like

I’m not saying they leave for less pay, I’m saying more would be likely to stay if the schedule was comparable. When you look at most of these local gov departments, the large pay amount gets quickly erased when you see how much they pay out of pocket for benefits. I know of several who have made the switch back to state for LG because of our benefits and the support we’re getting for future prime schedules similar to what they left for.

Also, can you explain to me how JAC comes out on top for this? It’s my understanding that the state receives money for our required JAC trainings. If anyone is making out, it’s CSFM office and the places that host the required courses. I wouldn’t say the training are of no benefit to anyone by any means. Having L2881 come out on top is good for us all btw. If you haven’t been to 2881 HQ in sac recently, maybe you should take a trip. They are doing big things to grow with the department to provide support to the membership.

1 Like

I can agree with that some do come back because of the benefits we get. I only personally know of one, but as a captain at that department he was getting paid as much as one of our seasonals. That being said, I’m still finding it hard to believe that if we do take a hit to our EDWC, upwards to 1k for a Captain, it’s going to be a pretty hard sell. Come back to CAL Fire, you are going to work 1 less day a pay period but your are going to make a grand less. And if we don’t retain the $260 health stipend, btw you will be making even less. But you get that extra day off a pay period.

You are right about CSFM. They too benefit greatly. How many of us paid to get a new cert because you needed the CSFM version of it. I think JAC does get its funding by the amount of employees under the JAC umbrella, but if they don’t get a funding increase taking on a couple thousand FAE’s then that’s great. I personally took all my JAC required classes, paid for them and then got reimbursed through training, and then filled out my VS like a good employee, meeting the hour requirements. So other than my JAC cert, and the pin at the JAC dinner, that’s about what I have gotten from JAC in my 20+ years. Now I am sure there is some money moving around behind the scenes I am not aware of, but if you asked the majority of FAE what they think about JAC, they’d probably say the same thing. If JAC truly is about training our employees, and having accountability for their training hours, then why don’t they allow the training you receive at your FFA/COA count towards your JAC time?

When it comes down to it, I do hope this works out to benefit our department. I think a lot of us are more concerned with Pay Parity and not Schedule Parity. With the cost of everything being so inflated, the thought of losing anything that affects my wallet is hard to swallow. What I think the majority of us dislike is the way the information is presented to us. We see the words Enshrined and Statute with no dollars and cents(sense) associated with this change, and it makes me question everything I read after it

4 Likes

Check your E-Connect; this passed through last night. The $260 didn’t expire on June 30th.

3 Likes

That was for the 6/24 pay period. The state doesn’t pay ahead.

4 Likes

Everyone seems to be forgetting how much of a political process this is. Think about it, we as a union leak a huge for sure thing with a $750 million dollar budget impact before the budget is even signed, how does that look to the tax payers? At that point then the Governor adjusts the 66-hour work week budget based on how the general public feels about CAL FIRE employees duty schedules so he isn’t recalled from office. This is a very fragile process that has to be methodically executed and telling a bunch of rowdy type A personalities full of testosterone and adrenal burn out information that isn’t signed into law yet probably isn’t going to work out the best way possible for the bargaining team and then the membership.

The union has gotten its membership what it has promised so far in the process, trust the union to deliver what they stated the objective was. A 66-hour work week without a loss in take home pay. The communication has been made when it has become available and was no longer classified information.

Also let us not forget that the department (CAL FIRE) also has a say in what schedules they approve and are available.

Biggest question is when are crew captains going to get their 3-day work schedule?

1 Like

Your last sentence is half of what most folks are asking for in this thread partner.
CC, Helitak, HFEOs. I’m willing to bet they (department) will still have some type of a 4 day project on grade schedule.

3 Likes

When they start sleeping at/near their work station? Same with dozer operators.

Flame On… :fire:

10 Likes

Heard BCs as well.
I see your flame and raise you one Uncrustable

9 Likes

9-24-24-9 is a 4 day admin shift that fits the 66. Think about it.

2 Likes

This is what I’m going off of:
Summary of Agreement with Bargaining Unit 8 07-01-2022 through 06-30-2024.pdf (ca.gov)

Effective the first day of the pay period following ratification by both parties, 

through June 30, 2024, all Bargaining Unit 8 employees enrolled in a state
sponsored health benefit plan shall receive a monthly payment of $260,
regardless of party code enrollment. This payment shall not be considered as
compensation for purposes of retirement.

1 Like

Yes based on the agreement you should receive your last payment the beginning of July. The payment you received was for the month of June of 2024. The state doesn’t pay advanced payments. Just like your paycheck you received on July 1st. That’s for work completed during the month of June.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t this be extended as part of the current contract since we still haven’t signed a new one?