66 Hour Work Week

I don’t believe so. 1. because it had a specific expiration date. 2. A few other bargaining units had the same health stipend. Those contracts ended and it didn’t continue either. Then their new contracts didn’t have the stipend in them.

1 Like

Lets not forget about all the prevention officers, I raise you a 2 day old ham sandwich on marble rye bread

2 Likes

Do retirees get the stipend as well?

2 Likes

It officially expired June 30 2024. Got the notice today, most likely because a few folks are making phone calls to payroll wondering what is going on with this agreement. I’m not sure the math yet, but you are making less now, that 260$ was factored into your OT calculation. I think it was mentioned above

1 Like

Could you imagine. Also every unit making their own version of what that looks like. Imma go work in XYZ cause they’re cops go home at night. :joy:

2 Likes

What notice did you get?

1 Like

Southern Region notified units that~ Pay Differential 440 [Improving Affordability and Access to Health Care] is expired. Don’t process past June 30

2 Likes

We have just received formal notification from CalHR, BU 8 Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) as of June 30, 2024, Pay Differential 440 [Improving Affordability and Access to Health Care] ($260/mo.) has expired, and will not be renewing at this time. This expiration extends to excluded employees tied to BU 8.

Please DO NOT process this pay differential for any time (including overtime/adjustments) beyond, June 30, 2024.

This came from the southern region to the unit

7 Likes

I work as a Forestry Tech. I’m really curious how this will work out for us. I received an email informing us that pay differential 440 has expired, so I just lost about 5% of my income. I was really hoping we would hear more information on the new MOU by now.

3 Likes

I think that’s a good point. For some the $260 is 1-2%, while others it is 5. If you are trying to live on that income, 2-5% is a decent amount gone from your monthly income.

2 Likes

I was told the 66hr work week doesn’t include 8.4 employees.

That makes sense. However, if the 66-hour staffing goes through and there isn’t a reduction in pay for that one less day worked, you’re essentially earning more per hour. I’m wondering if this pay increase will somehow help with a BU 8.4 salary adjustment.

Can you explain how that math work with this formula?

13 Pay Periods a year equals 4.33 weeks per PP

Base salary divided by 4.33 give an you a weekly salary

Weekly salary divided by 53 (FSLA STRAIGHT TIME) gives you straight time rate.

Straight time rate x 1.5 give you the OT rate.

It’s the OT rate that gets multiplied by 76hr of EDWC per month.

The loss of 24hr of EDWC is still a loss of 24hr at the same OT rate because of the formula used.

In order to not “lose compensation” while working 1 less day a PP a person needs between a 9%-18% base salary raise to make up for the lost EDWC.

AND THE CHERRY ON TOP OF THIS ICE CREAM IS THE LOSS OF $260/MONTH, Lowers your OT rate over $1/hr, or $76 dollars per WP.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

They are either going to bump up the salary to compensate for loss of EDWC or change the OT rate formula to compensate for loss of EDWC. Pretty simple to understand.

And once again, this isn’t just a decision made by the union, the department (CAL FIRE) is also pushing for this. So all those Sacramento and Region chiefs are also fighting for a 66 hour work schedule, yet very few people throughout this thread topic have mentioned anything about stars and bugles potentially affecting their take home pay.

1 Like

The stars are only supporting it because it has legislative and popular support. Do you really think they would be pushing heavily for this if it was an uphill battle? I appreciate the upbeat perspective but if this were not a heavily supported item, by more than just our union, you would not see the vocal support coming from our managers. The stars have bosses too.

4 Likes

My union chapter just notified us of this pay cut. We’ll see what happens…

1 Like

Can you define more what you were told?

1 Like

Basically just said this was a CalHR decision and the union isn’t happy about it, not much more to it. The Union will be releasing something shortly in regards to it.

2 Likes

Our chapter claimed they had no knowledge this would happen….even though it was clear as day in the language of the agreement. I think it’s things like this that cause many of us to have anxiety about bargaining.

When the guy from the chapter who’s on the bargaining team says he didn’t know about a part of the agreement he helped bargain for, my faith is somewhat diminished.

10 Likes

The writing was on the wall from the get go, processing it as a separate check sealed the deal.

2 Likes