66 Hour Work Week

Chief Morris is on record that a 48/96 won’t work because of commute times for Northern California Folks. Multiple Depts in SoCal work a 48/96, 2/4 Kelley, Modified Kelly, 2 2 4 2 2 8 and so on.

Schedule B can be worked A shift, B shift, relief Shift. I know I’ve worked it and built crew cohesion. Had to travel “suit case kid” but made it work.

The biggest problem is SCO IS ON RECORD and WILL NOT entertain a 14 day work period. So a 56 is a dream for a 28 day work period. Put a different way, TUU barely breaks 1,000-1,100 calls a year. Employees who travel for work, would give up most, if not all financial benefits of a 48/96 in fuel costs, wear & tear.

The 66 works as a 3/4, 3/4, 2/5, 3/4 to get 11 days in a 28 day work period. The ENTIRE state has to goto some form of rotating schedule. Which is what every other Dept that works a Kelly does. We still have units where Employees “Bid” to work Mon-Tue-Wed. Ask someone who works in the
Riverside
Rotational
Unit.
The single and double days at work period break have some of the highest SICK DAYS. Which only compounds the force hiring. Finally, the best thing the 66hr does is get the FAE to FC ratio close to 1:1 as opposed to the 2:3 (2FAE to fill 3FC) spots.

Hence the hiring of open list FC and the a continuing lose of our culture at the FC Level. Which is wear its most desperately needed. Simple things like Subsistence, Month Ends, that FF learned during seasons 3-4-5 don’t happen anymore.

5 Likes

This :point_up_2: all of this.

Vote no if it’s less pay.

4 Likes

Keep the 72 and no 66 if less pay.

I was talking about this with my wife and she said, you guys are idiots if you take less pay. I know I know, she has no real idea what we do. But she has a pretty damn good idea how it impacts our home. Her first question was, does this mean you will get your days off? My answer, not for a couple of years until they complete hiring.

You can probably guess her answer.

1 Like

Every pay raise that fails to keep up with inflation is a pay cut.

What will happen is. The contract will be given to the membership at the last minute. With little time to understand it fully and no one will give definitive answers. The membership will be asked to “trust” and it’s the “best we could do”.

Then the sheep will vote yes and the cycle continues.

7 Likes

Hmm it sounds like you have heard the same story I’ve heard all these years.

Insanity comes to mind?? .

But in reality the “leaders” know we are an agency of “do-ers” and take pride in our jobs and often put service above ourselves. We let ourselves get taken advantage, I’m tired of it. I just hope others are too.

3 Likes

All the chapters directors knew. That sat through the contract meeting like the rest of us. But only one Unit voted NO on the contract.

3 Likes

I think we are past the point of no return with the 66. The time to vote No and keep the 72 was 2 years ago. Most units have begun filling new positions in preparation for the 66.

3 Likes

So Cal Fire yesterday lost $250 a month and on top of that we lost about $2 an hour of the overtime rate. Seems like a kick to during a busy fire season. But hey sounds like the 66 hour will fix everything.

5 Likes

We still have to ratify the contract. Our agreement two years ago was not to accept it, but to explore the option of the schedule. We still have to accept the contract. So yes two years ago was the catalyst that of the conversation, but not the end of it.

3 Likes

The only thing that matters is the vote when put to the membership. How are units filling positions they dont have? That doesnt make sense and to my knowledge isnt happening but i dont know a lot either

I know for sure there are personnel working in my battalion coded to the 66 hour work week.

3 Likes

Copy that. Didnt realize Cal Fire was funding something thats not in place yet. @Chiefrog can you speak to this, it has me curious.

1 Like

I would interested to hear how that is coded as well. Is that for sure or a someone told someone situation?

News to me. Last contract said nothing about exploring the 66. Its a done deal.

1 Like

I stand corrected. You are right. The MOU indicates that we have agreed to the 66.
The topics included:

Hours of work
Shift patterns
Work schedules
Retention and recruitment
Classification

Only way it seems to argue readdressing the issue is, there are a a lot of “shall” and “will” statements in reference to what the JLMC has to do.

I can assure you in my position I am 100% positive. And in this case, it’s a local coding for the 66 hour work week on the A side. However, as everyone knows, we have been moving to the 3.0 staffing model statewide for both schedule an and B. In other words staffing for the 66 hour work week without necessarily calling it that

It would be a great pretty huge step back to accept less pay. That would set the precedence for a 56 doing the same and our employees making as much as an ultra small local government department for y with a lot more responsibility. The kind that guys usually leave and work for us.

3 Likes

This is going to get really confusing. I’m assuming you’re talking here about having three humans per seat- three Captains, three Engineers, etc to fill a position on an engine. As opposed to 3.0 engine staffing- meaning three humans on the engine 24/7. Can we agree on a way to differentiate which 3.0 we’re talking about without having to assume the context will be enough to keep everyone on the same page?

Yes that is what I meant. So let’s call it 3 per seat for context in this discussion. Lol

Staffing model 3.0 = 3 bodies per engine

Staffing factor 2.67, 3.0, 3.11, 3.4 = number of PY (personnel years) per position.

As for the 66 hour. We were provided position numbers to convert 2 02350 engines to traditional staffing. 3 FCs, 3 FAEs, and 3 FF1s.

4 Likes