66 Hour Work Week

Using what staffing factor?

JC, was there a letter to 2881 members regards to the loss of the 280$?

2 Likes

2 Likes

So after speaking with a few district reps this morning. I have been assured that we still will need to ratify what comes out of bargaining for 2881. “Leadership” will look out for the departments best interest and work to ensure that we work less hours so that equates to less pay. Labor will work to ensure we have no loss in compensation. No brainer, I know. So my question is simple, how many would vote for a contract that has less pay and a 66?

1 Like

HARD NO VOTE

A loss of $12000+ in PERSable compensation is a deal breaker.

Sure, loss of EDWC could be made up WORKING MORE
But that is 180 degrees opposite getting coworkers more family time, mental health time. If said employee just has to work extra days to not go backwards financially for their current situation.

With current fire activity & staffing patterns. Most, if not all employees are already taking approximately a $1,000 pay cut in lost medical reimbursement & lost EDWC & OT.

4 Likes

I fear we will heavily sold the idea that our EDWC hourly rate will be” more” so in a sense our take home will be more working what we currently work. Basically negating the point of a reduction in work week.

1 Like

Agreed. I don’t know about the rest of you, but if I can’t pay my bills, my mental health is going to suffer. Lol

3 Likes

Funny but true.

3 Likes

One less day a PP isn’t enough for me to lose money to help on a Car Payment, mortgage and rent, nanny, food. It’s a hard no, make everyone a 72, give us pay raises and fix the retirement age. I’m not asking for 3%, I’m asking for years to enjoy my family b4 I’m gone. Cheers

9 Likes

This right here

1 Like

Let’s all remember that the union’s direction thus far has been bargaining for a workweek reduction WITH NO LOSS IN COMPENSATION and we have no reason to believe our bargaining team would be satisfied bringing us an option with one. Let’s have some faith in our bargaining team and not make assumptions.

1 Like

They might not be satisfied but this late in the game could be the 1/2 of the 2 options. I hear ya

1 Like

There is that “Compensation” buss word again. It should be without loss of “Income”. Remember folks, Vote yes to repeal the gas tax… I personally have zero faith in our bargaining team and union leadership. If it where not the outcry on social media and other platforms such as this, no correspondence would have been presented by union leadership on this particular mater. The fact of that matter is we are currently 10 days outside of our former contract, and the union has informed the body of nothing, nada, zip zilch. If you can give me one example out of the last 10 agreement periods of which the union body gained anything with out sacrificing somewhere else, I will forever hold my piece.

3 Likes

We all know what was said. We also realize we know the motives of all those parties. We also have to be willing to stand together on what we want not what we are told we will get.

3 Likes

I agree 1000%. Our union is extremely weak and tunneled vision, zero communication about being out of contract. The best way to get rumors going is to not communicate at all. But good news, you can send in questions for the virtual town hall. I’m willing to bet there will be zero “difficult topics” brought up. I say heck
With the 66, let’s start looking into leadership change, someone who has actually worked their way through the organization.

3 Likes

There is that statement
NO LOSS IN COMPENSATION
When it should have ALWAYS BEEN
NO LOSS IN PERSABLE COMPENSATION.
24hr less in EDWC while continuing to work 12 days a WP till staffing will be argued NO LOSS IN COMPENSATION. Yet will result in retiring member potentially losing $13,000/yr in PERSable compensation which is used to calculate retirement benifits.

No different than it taking 8 days to respond to the loss in Medical Stipend that expired on 6/30/22. Yet CRICKETS in communications about this among MANY, MANY other items there hasn’t been information provided to the membership.

2 Likes

I don’t think they are weak, they have just not utilized IAFF as much as they could have in the past. With our current employee pool we also can’t be ignored. Too many dues are up for grabs. They also can’t tell us too much during bargaining. The date of the town hall is interesting. They either already know they won’t be finished bargaining by then or they know it will be wrapped up. I think it’s ok to not tell us exactly what’s happening due to bargaining rules, but I think they can at least tell us they are at the table and that they understand many of the members have questions. Even outline what the rules are for them during this time. So as membership we have a better understanding of the process and what phase we are in. I think that would be enough to help answer some questions. I realize some will still be aggravated and that’s just how it goes. But to flat out go radio silent during such a dynamic time in the department is bad form. They have lawyers on both the state side and labor side that could help them craft information that is basic enough but at least provides an update to the process.

2 Likes

I did ask a few questions for our town hall meeting, none of which I expect to be answered. I believe our union to be weak but they do not have a leg to stand on. We as a department have a no lock out no strike clause. Meaning that the state can not prevent us from coming to work ( even though they did if you had a mild temperature over the last 3 years) and we as the union body are prohibited from striking. I bet if you look around the breakfast table you would not find a single person who would deny California citizens the right to fire protection or medical support just because we want a raise. So what do we do? We ask our bargaining team to go get us a shiny object, and they get to pick the object, not us. We have no threat, no “or else”. Next time you see your chapter director ask for a copy of the pink sheets. Years ago I was asked to write some resolutions and I did, only to discover that there is a book of resolutions that have been written and voted on since the beginning of time. They include pay differentials, hours worked, vacation policy, health and welfare etc. Everything we all currently would like to see fixed had already been written, voted on, passed, and sent to die in a binder made up of pink paper that every chapter director has access too. But how could a resolution be written, voted and passed and then sent out to pasture? Because the bargaining team didn’t want to… It did not fit there agenda. Could strong leadership do better? Maybe, If you gave me $13,000,000 on an annual basis could I do better? Maybe, Maybe not. But the breakdown in communication from our union leaders is not forgivable. I will be voting no on the 66 Hour work week if I have to give up a single solitary cent. I have mouths to feed, a house to heat and a family to provide for as the rest of us do. I have no answers, only question, My situation is completely derived from out current union leadership that only shows us what we are getting, without options. I implore them to tell us everything that was bargained for, everything we could have gained VS everything we could have lost. Show us what good they are actually doing for us. Only then can a real informed decision be made.

2 Likes

Union Leadership could’ve been using GOING DIRECT the L2881 Podcast to present information, in a controlled, one-way environment, all year long. Heck, they could’ve/SHOULD’VE communicated the status of negotiations and mentioned the pending loss of the medical stipend, lawyers response. All of it could’ve/SHOULD’VE been presented/ updated.

It’s like our Union Leadership has forgotten what the “C” means and stands for in

LCES

4 Likes