66 Hour Work Week

Thank you. What you said is far more information than we have received. My point is not about how far we have come nor the discomfort those in the bargaining seat are feeling. I appreciate you saying those aspects as a reminder. My point is simple, what you said, that I assume does not violate any rules, is all about affirmation. In a culture dynamic such as this, I believe that aspect is important. Messaging and affirmation are important. Employees are fearful of change and loss. They know zero to little about what is currently happening in the process and simply want communication. Doing what you just did, would go a long way. I hope we can agree on that and still respect what the Union leadership has in front of them.

7 Likes

Agreed. We understand we cannot be given specifics. But hell, just reaffirm the platform for us every now and then. Let us know we are still at the table.

And don’t be disingenuous about things such as the loss of medical that was outlined in something that you signed. Firefighters are all about ownership. I for one would be a lot more forgiving if the union said the following.

“Due to an oversight on our part during the last set of negotiations there was a sunset clause placed on the additional health benefit offset payments. We are working with our attorneys and the LRO to see what if anything can be done to restore this until the new contract has been negotiated.”

:man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Could you please give me a point and click, step by step process of how to locate and examine the 1500 manual on the members side of the webpage? Thank you

1 Like

I would like to thank the mods fore opening this thread, for a brief moment it did feel like the freedom of speech was not that free. It is of my personal belief that this dialog is crucial for the betterment and well being of our employees. 2881 has not produced any factual information about our upcoming agreement so it is up to us, the dues paying members to speculate.

3 Likes

On Iphone (should be similar on desk top also)

To access the 1500 policy

Access member side of website
Tap on three bars on the right
Select Resource arrow
Tap on red resource box
Go to Constitution & By- Laws folder
Tap on click-here to open PDF
1500 section begins on page 157

2 Likes

That seems super simple. Clear as mud, and very hidden, thank you for your clarification. I am on a desktop, and none of those directions work. Perhaps we should send out a link to the 1500 manual annually. so that members can read, compute and comprehend resolutions that are already on the books before they spend time and effort to write a resolution that has already been written.

1 Like

Constitution-By-Laws-ALL-9.23.pdf (2.1 MB)

2 Likes

That is absolutely 100% false

1 Like

thank you sir

prove me wrong, change my mind and I will apologize sincerely

As already stated to you is the 1500 section on the C&OP. Provides direction to the negotiating team and the past resolutions that the bargaining team uses as well.When they go to the bargaining table this is what they use. It right there for every member to see and read. Hence my reply to you. To say no information has been provided is malarkey.

I have to say, I’ve learned something. I had no idea the “pink” sheets existed and that we had a manual that is available to us for review. I know there is alot of other passions about this subject but I also want to point out that this topic been informative as well. That is the value in this forum.

4 Likes

I have never ever heard them called “pink sheets” I learned some too lol. Agreed this is benefit to this forum.

I disagree with both of you and offer another thought to consider.

I agree that there could be better communication from the top, however, I think in this case, there are multiple places that could be considered “the top”.

Could “the top” be 2881? Sure, but could CAL FIRE leadership also be considered “the top”? In my mind, absolutely. What about CalHR? The JLMC? Another state agency? I think there are multiple places that could bear some responsibility for communications to the employees as well as to the many cooperating/contracting agencies that will be impacted by this change.

Sure, 2881 is a direct link to the membership, but why is this lack of communication to every employee, partner, cooperator, allied agency, Schedule A contract, and so on being pinned squarely on 2881?

Personally, I think there is a very small pool of maybe a couple dozen people outside the actual JLMC members that have any information on the plan to implement the 66 and, for better or for worse, they are doing a phenomenal job of playing their cards very close to the chest. Only time will tell if this move was right, wrong, or otherwise.

The part I don’t understand is that, when I talk to people who are “in the know”, they say “the plan” has been agreed upon and finalized, but isn’t being released right now.

Here’s my thing, we’re just 3.5 months from the day this is set to go live and, as with any monumental change of this scale, there are bound to be some hurdles with implementation.

Instead of spitting out all the details at the last minute and hoping for the best, why not allow the 12,000 minds of the department (plus countless cooperators, Schedule A contracts, and so on) to run their own personal scenario and ask questions so we can identify potential sticking points before this rolls out in the middle of what has historically proven to be a very chaotic portion of peak season?

By the way, does anyone know when the last time BU8 (or any other bargaining unit) reached a tentative agreement PRIOR to the previous contract expiring?

3 Likes

Me either. The only “pink sheets” I’ve ever heard of is when you sprinkle Kool Aid on the rookie’s bedding and turn up the heater!

3 Likes

Ok…you got me. What does Marin work?

1 Like

Put simply, because L2881 is the only one that we pay to give us answers.

4 Likes

Its all smoke and mirrors.

2 Likes

I believe multiple schedules, including a 48/96

Keep in mind, although I do want more communication, our union leadership is well aware that if they don’t come back with a 66 and no loss in PERS-able Compensation there is a good chance we will recall them. Without this, it would be a loss and a big step back for our employees, who live in a State that they can’t afford to live in, unless they are at work more hours.

Let’s not forget, the whole reason behind the change to this schedule is to help with burnout of employees. But if you have employees who have to work more to get back to even, that negates the purpose of this process. If you have any compensation taken away now, what do you think sets precedence for a 56? It also shouldn’t be you have to stay longer to get a PERS-able amount. That is the same as deferring your pay to down the road.

Don’t be sold anything less. Keep the 72 if the 66 is a pay cut. It

6 Likes