66 Hour Work Week

Does your math factor in the increase in healthcare. The loss of the 260 medical stipend? The increase in prefunding retirement healthcare?

It sure doesn’t, factoring all that it’s a break even at best

To Echo @DivisionZulu , yes it is an effective increase. If you disagree or think it’s a “shell game” consider the following

If the state had said - Everyone gets a 10% base salary increase, but you have to work 48 hours more/month (14 days total) to get it - would everyone say yea! We all got a 10% raise? No, you’d be rightfully upset that you were effectively getting paid less. With this contract, your base+EDWC might be the same at the end of the year, but you did not have to work as many hours to get it.

Another way to look at it, let’s say you work the exact same schedule next year as this not counting unplanned OT (12 days/pay period). At the end of the year your W2 would increase by 13 OT days (at the higher rate than this year). So again, effectively your monthly salary next year would have an increase (“Raise”) equal to whatever 1-1/12 day of OT is to you.

You can’t ignore the 24 hour reduction per pay period. It’s not being honest.

3 Likes

I’m not convinced that the union folks that have been working tirelessly on this are in it to take a loss in anything. They too are CF employees and will be affected just like the rest of us. I am sure they will cast a NO VOTE if not beneficial. My .02

2 Likes

So dropping the LACOFD name. What do 180 FAEs do assigned to the HFEOS. They our transport drivers now? Is this a pipeline? Any words on this to those in the know?
:beers:

I believe there going to make dozer swampers FAEs

Permanent?

Making Swampers an FAE position has been in the works. Makes sense for experience and code 3 driving capability. Would be nice to make it a career path for guys that are capable operators. So I wanna throw a wrench in or play a little devils advocate, why did all of you want to go to a 66 then 56?

I don’t think anyone really “wanted” to. But for the state it was a non starter to go to the 56. This was the first bite at eating the elephant.

1 Like

Well than why the 56?

56 is the standard nearly all fire departments in California work.

Its a standard for municipal fire departments. Cal Fire is not a municipal fire dept, its a stste government agency that regulates lands, safeguards the people and protects property and watershed. I resigned and moved out of state Ive got no skin in the game anymore but I was in the game a long time and was around for quite a few contracts including going to blues to align with those depts more instead of the forest agencies. But I want to know what the younger guys voting on this contract think going to a 66 then a 56 is going to get them? Personally, I think the timing was horrible with the amount of inflation and COL in CA, which is why I left. I made my decision, we werent getting a raise that put more real dollars in my account from this, Im out. I think the 56 is a good thing eventually, but an “effective raise” means you get paid more per hour plus a few extra peanuts. It does not put more money in your pocket. So for 2 1/2 years you better like it or cut costs because the cost for items is not going back down, PGE, SCE, SDGE will get theirs, minimum wage in CA is still climbing towards 20 so food and gas will continue to rise. Slow years happen, we saw that the last 24 months, have a plan. I would have rather seen a raise that pays all the fellas what these other CA depts make first, get all our guys on a 3%@50, then attack a reduction in scheduled hours, but every crew captain cuts line a little different so I hope the union has those plans in place, sees the progression and isnt taking a break on the backside of the ridge. Its gonna be a long Aug through October. Lot of younsters seeing there first real monster up north this year, take care of them.

5 Likes

2881 has a MOU calculator on the member login side of the site. Only factors salery and changes to edwc, comes out to a raise of 4.72% (pre Jul 25 raise)

4 Likes

Crickets!!

6 Likes

Shut it down Kev. Haha

1 Like

Why do you think anyone is dropping LACOFD? That’s not negotiable in bargaining, it’s up to local union reps to make these relationships last

All pensionable at salary tax rate, not ot rate

1 Like

Easy pal, look at the post I was replying to in the original

There is transparency in this contract. There are special salary adjustments involved, and GSI’s. This is a no takeaway, GSI providing, reduced work contract. And it provided the staffing to lead to a 56 hour workweek, anyone not interested in this is a fool, or poorly misinformed…

1 Like

Your 13 days extra days off disagree.

1 Like