66 Hour Work Week

LA County was just used as an example and was also included in the pay parity bill. It was a general statement not meant to be taken as a direction towards that agency whatsoever. When you talk to folks up and down the state they want to make as much as whatever local municipality is by them (when it is more) so LA County was just a quick, large example of a multi risk agency that some folks on the floor compare our wages to.

1 Like

4.72% + 2.5% = what?

1 Like

Again that’s absolute dollars. People have to compare apples to apples. ie. Working 288 hours/week as you do now vs 264 next year. Doing this requires adding in 13 days of voluntary OT per year. It’s dishonest to compare your W2 working 11 days/WP to your W2 working 12 days/WP.

If you compare this fairly, it is a 17% increase on your W2 this year to next. If you choose not to “voluntarily” work those extra 13 days then it is “only” a 4.72% increase.

The union did a pretty poor job of clarifying that on their spread sheet.

3 Likes

How about you wait for a ratification meeting? To consider the 66 the end of the mission is foolish, and expecting all your wants in a single negotiation is ignorant.

1 Like

The union hasn’t even had a chance to explain it yet, you may have misinterpreted it on a labor relations webpage. The new contract reduces worked hours by 13 days a year, increases in special salary adjustments, as well as 2 general salary increases, and allows for staffing to make the 56hour work week turn key. Knowledge is power, but so is misinformation spot wield it if you can’t handle it.

Huh? Not sure where this or @SeeYouOnTheBigOne is coming from. Nothing I posted was in regards to the “end of the mission”. Nothing I posted expressed anything about my wants. Read the entire post, the comment at the end is self explanatory, they could have delineated better the difference in hours worked to clarify that 4.72% increase relates to. What misinformation?

WTF does this mean?

2 Likes

As they should. These days they are letting 1st year FF1’s be swampers.

Make it FAE with a Class A to help move / drive transport and they can run code3

1 Like

Given the economic climate, this is a good deal for us.

2881 did a a good job.

6 Likes

I was just referring to the swamper/fae component
:beers:

Respectfully disagree. What is the good deal here?
A 17% “effective raise” isn’t going to help my family buy “actual” groceries. Or pay "actual bills. Sure the extra day off is cool. But if you gave the membership a choice between the 66 or a 17% raise show me one person who doesn’t take the extra $17,000 a year in this economic climate.

Regardless it’s here to stay. But I’m not impressed with the contract by a longshot. A 2% raise over two years is a drop in the bucket. Any raise that doesn’t atleast match inflation is a pay cut.

Looking forward to seeing the Unions breakdown. Maybe there’s a perspective I’m missing. But the day I start living paycheck to paycheck is the day I stop paying dues to cover the difference.

8 Likes

You do realize if you really need the extra money you can just work what was your 12th day now as an unplanned ot. And now it’s at a way higher day. It’s an amazing deal considering the state is in a significant deficit and it looks like the nation is heading into a recession… Some people will just never be happy. You can’t please everyone. But the direction of the membership (meaning the majority) wanted this. They pulled it off and somehow gave us a pay raise… What else can you ask for?

7 Likes

The 66 hr was won last contract so that shouldn’t be a LOOK AT WHAT WE DID moment. So if we put that aside we got scraps. Thankfully our budget got increased and not cut like CDCR but for being one of the lowest paid departments in the state hr/hr I was honestly expecting more.

2 Likes

Then work that extra day of OT per pay period and make an extra $17K (your number) next year (vs this year). Thus you’ve “given up” the 66 hour work week, kept the 72 hour workweek and you have all that extra money to spend on groceries. Seems simple enough.

2 Likes

Haha I love the argument of just work the extra day.

1. Wasn’t that the point of the 66 is to give us more time off?

2. I haven’t seen anything in writing that says I own my 12th day. It will have to go to post and bid like any other ot.

Don’t poo poo someone criticism of the pay raise by saying well just work more :joy::-1:t2:

8 Likes

The whole selling point of this contract is we get to work less and your answer is “just work more”.

The direction of the membership is a 56hr work week. This is just some half measure to keep us happy. Again I’m not here to disparage what is already in stone. I’m just disappointed to see menial pay increases. Fingers crossed for the pipe dream that is AB1254.

4 Likes

Straight facts thank you. Idk how so many people can be negative… now your ot rate is approximately 17% higher. If you need the extra money then work 12 days a month then boom it’s about a 1200/month raise. Very simple.

I believe that was a more educational/informational piece of legislation

Hey, Jim…can you pass me the popcorn?

2 Likes

17% is menial? No one is saying “just work more”. The raise makes our take home whole with 24 hours less per pay period of work. You CAN work that OT and make an extra $1000-1500 if you want to. The staffing will trickle in so that no one will have to work it.

2 Likes

The point is to make enough to pay the bills without working extra.

This argument is almost as bad as the “if you don’t like it leave” argument.

4 Likes