66 Hour Work Week

So I guess the counter argument is what I mentioned previously. If the contract actually said “Everyone is getting a 20% raise but your duty week is 5 day/week, 20 days/pp” some of you would be thrilled because you got a 20% raise???

So you expect a $1000 raise and 1 less day? I’m sorry that’s just delusional. If you want/need the extra $$ go ahead and work. But if you don’t want/need it. Enjoy the work week reduction. If your okay at 12 days a month. How are you complaining about 11 days +1 or days?

1 Like

I also forgot to mention this raises your ot rate significantly more as well. So if your an ot guy this is a HUGE raise for you

2 Likes

It only counts as a 17% raise if I work overtime. I didn’t take this job to spend my life at work. I fully understand that this job does come with long summers. But again I signed a contract to do X amount of work for X amount of pay. Not really interested in working OT outside of that. This job will always be here. My family, my friends, my life, will not.

4 Likes

I don’t post much on this forum but this thread is getting out of hand. At the end of the day we are getting a raise and a reduced schedule. We can always want more, but we live in California. It’s expensive. Is it getting harder to pay the bills, yes. Are we in a budget deficit yes. Let’s be grateful for the support we got. Fire season isn’t slowing down anytime soon. How about we focus on everyone coming home safe this summer and be grateful for what we are going to get.

15 Likes

It’s “actually” close to 5% the day it goes into effect, and 2.5 July 1 2025, and increases OT rate, and makes more of your check pensionable.

3 Likes

Did the math for my own situation, and it’s a 17% raise without working the OT.

1 Like

I agree is our pay shit, well depends where you are . I am still trying to come to terms with that fact that we are so large , geographically, economically, and demographically diverse that equality for wages cannot exist.

the folks working in the Bay Area are getting 10’s of thousands less, for more time on duty. It’s insurmountable and it sucks, especially for those P Card holders. And yes the beni’s can be worse or as I have seen better more often then not.

It’s a moot point unfortunately. Cannot be mad at the younger ffs and faes leaving. Unless your a AC it’s hard to argue

2 Likes

Even then our ACs make pennys compared to local gov Like literally 100k a year less.

3 Likes

Meanwhile BLM, USFS, and NPS all make considerably less, aren’t universally recognized by their legislators, don’t have the same benefits, yet we sit here and squabble. I’m shocked we didn’t have to give something up. Is this the best deal? I don’t know I’m not on the bargaining team and ultimately it’s up to the membership. But I’m also not going to look a gift horse in the mouth either when you see what is being presented. I realize everyone’s situation is different. But let’s be a little more humble when faced with the facts that right now there are CAL FIRE employees on the line doing the same work that our federal counterparts are, making significantly more and oh yeah we get to go to a temperature controlled environment at the end of our shift. Not trying to shut anyone down, but there are so many others who don’t have what we have and our conditions aren’t as atrocious as everyone makes them out to be.

7 Likes

I know. But if we think in terms of ff1-BC for us. And then FF for many locals it’s not uncommon for it to be 60-80k more for 35 days less a year

All outside the point. I’m happily surprised with the contract

4 Likes

And we are all doing it next to a shit load of Lg guys making as much as one of us and two Feds combined.

1 Like

This has been interesting, I anticipated people arguing over which shift pattern was best or something else. I didn’t not envision a fight between a idiological raise vs actual pay my bills raise! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

8 Likes

“Same same, but different”

It’s all in good spirit

So here is my thing.

This contract met my personal ask. Shorter work week with no loss in take home. I am happy with it. I also think the medic stipend and some other things are all really good.

I am not sure I’m thrilled with the shift patterns but I’m on standby.

What I don’t like. The attitude that we persist upon having that says, be happy they gave us anything. I’m sorry but that is horrible outlook. Because we have all given them a lot too. I know we all signed up for this but I don’t think the statement “you knew what you signed up for” is accurate anymore.

So yes. We do give to the state and there is nothing wrong with asking for better compensation. We all have different priorities but the, “well at least they didn’t shoot us” attitude has to stop.

We can be happy with the advancements we made and still push forward at the same time.

4 Likes

The questions is will the 3rd day be up for grabs ROT or will that person have their rights to work it. Still waiting to find out on that one

4 Likes

Let me couch this the with fact the State is starting the year with between a $85 and $45 Billion $$$ deficit depending how on whose numbers you want to use. Think about it!!

2 Likes

Bummer 2881 took the calculator down.

It’s open, depending on the schedule your unit chooses. You do not own it, as it is not your scheduled day

1 Like

It’ll be back up