66 Hour Work Week

Bunk beds! :beers:

3 Likes

:rofl:
BAD GAS
WHITMORE

3 Likes

What will the avg % raise be to offset the loss of 24hr of EDWC to avoid No Loss in Compensation?

:beers:

13%

The unions goal is to get us to the 67 with NO LOSS IN COMPENSATION.

That includes that 13%. If we get no “raise”, but reduce the work week. Then it’s actually a hidden 13% raise.

4 Likes

Considering the % raises that were in the 2017-2021 MOU.
13% isn’t outside the realm of possibilities. Will just depend on “when the 66” takes place and “when the 13%” takes place.

Thanks for the info

1 Like

Well assuming bargaining goes will, the 66 is supposed to start in November regardless of when we have the staffing to support it. So, yes people will likely still be working 72hr weeks for some time and getting paid OT for that extra day.

3 Likes

So im assuming that before November, there will be a new SP to support FCB, HFEO, Air Crews, LEO, that when fully staffed there will won’t be normally reoccurring OT?
Makes sense in my head, im sure I could’ve phrased it better.

Are you asking if there WONT be personnel in place by November? There definitely will not.

OT Will be normal for a while likely. But even if you’re forced for that day (assuming no one wants the OT, which we’ve seen this year that most people want that OT bad), you’d still be working your previous 3/4 and getting paid more because of the OT.

3 Likes

YTD would be more but PERSable will be less. Also, just because it’s bargained for and in the MOU doesn’t guarantee it will be instituted. There is no BCP or identified funding associated to the 66 hour WW, so the state legislature is concerned how it will be funded, especially given the LAO’s forecast of budget shortfalls for the next 3 FY’s.

It’s the LAOs job to give a conservative estimate based on funding. The governor put it in his budget and we will see if it stays for the May revision. If it remains in the budget, then the only thing standing in our way is ourselves. The membership still has to vote on it being implemented.

1 Like

YTD (gross income) would be more (assuming you continue to work 72hr/week) but PERSable would remain the same, it’s just moving money from the PERSable EDW to base pay.

1 Like

With a loss of 24 hours of EDWC, that equals less PERSable $ unless a raise equal to that loss was bargained for.

1 Like

Read the comments from earlier. It’s the unions goal to negotiate the 66 with no loss in compensation. So nothing persable would be lost. Compensation would remain, and effectively be a 13% raise.

This last GSI was July 1, 2023, with no additional increases planned. If the 66 is implemented and the base salary stays the same, the employees’ purchasing power will have eroded by 3% or more per year due to inflation.

A 13% “increase” over the course of a multi-year MOU that brings salary back to today’s rate is still being eroded at a rate of 3% a year, so a 13% increase over a 4 year MOU would essentially be net zero.

Is this what is meant by “no loss of compensation”? It seems to me that this would essentially be a 3% per year pay cut. Am I missing something?

4 Likes

The union is shooting for a 5 year contract with an annual reopened to discuss salaries only. I’m saying at the time of bargaining, I wouldn’t be surprised if no GSI happens due to the 66 already being a heavy lift with a huge financial burden. We should understand at a membership that this is more important to our long term success as an agency than asking for a salary increase at the moment. We will be lucky to get the 66 with no loss in compensation in the current fiscal state of the budget.

1 Like

Maybe a more descriptive term would be “no loss of compensation due to a reduced workweek”. This is effectively a GSI. If you tie the reduced workweek to inflation (and everything else eating up your net income) then the whole idea of reducing the workweek becomes one of money. That becomes a harder sell to the decision makers than what should be the main argument, FF health and wellbeing.

2 Likes

Seems more to me like a shell game by the state to artificially inflate the firefighters’ hourly wage without increasing total compensation. Same kind of thing happened a few years ago when the state “so generously” brought FFIs from a 72 hour divisor to the same level as everyone else at 56. There was no change in annual base salary, but it spiked their hourly rate enough to keep them above the minimum wage as minimum wage increased. Not really any more money in the employee’s pocket unless they work unplanned overtime, but it kept the state from having to raise salaries. Genius idea, just not quite as employee friendly as it may seem on the surface.

Remember, entry wage for CAL FIRE firefighters will be below minimum wage here in a couple months…Think about it…fast food workers get a 33% raise on April 1, 2024, when their minimum wage goes from $15/hour to $20/hour. What’s a quick way to make it look like the state’s fire firefighters also start at over $20 per hour? Well, reducing the workweek while paying the same annual salary could do the trick. It’s like a fire at the fun house at the carnival…it’s all smoke and mirrors.

On this same note, rumors are swirling that the 66 hour workweek will only apply to personnel assigned to a station, such as on an engine, truck, rescue, ambulance, or dozer. Those assigned to an air base, helitack, crew camp (inmate, CCC, FFI, CNG), fuels crew, prevention, safety, training, PIO, administration, ECC, and such will remain on their current 72 hour schedule, whether it’s as 4 day (24/24/14/10), a 2.5/3.5 (24/24/12…24/24/24/12) or whatever. Anyone else hearing this?

1 Like

Heard that a phased in approach will be used, down to specific battalions or programs that have the staffing to support a 66hr WW.

1 Like

Would you rather be paid $500 for 10 hours worth of work or $500 for 5 hours worth of work? Why?

Incorrect, their EDW went up due to their hourly rate going up.

1 Like

Seems to me misinformed or unaware employees still flood the department. Every perspective I’ve heard lately about the 66 is “I’ll just work the extra OT” Crazy.
You can’t build a permanent schedule based on Forced OT. Or Voluntarily OT. There will be a platoon or extra perm people per station, Dozers will be a 3 man, stations will have more FAEs and Capt… it’s a pay cut, more people, less hours worked. Ya not at first, but when fully staffed. Seems like the tune is changing from Union personnel in regard to a compensation change as well. Weather it be here, Reddit or Facebook

1 Like