66 Hour Work Week

Honestly I would say in the case of the bargaining member I’m referring to, ego.

Please understand I am not saying that’s all of them but in this specific case, a giant, enormous, infallible ego.

2 Likes

Now that would be a game changer and open up more schedule options now & in the future

Exactly, although almost every other bargaining unit is fighting this because it doesn’t benefit them in any way shape or form and people are used to getting paid monthly already. Although it would modernize payroll, and get us in compliance with state regulations, it wouldn’t benefits most bargaining units in any way. Just forces people to budget differently and learn a new system.

2 Likes

I love buzz words. “heavy lift” is my new favorite. I’m going to try and use it on all my lift assists. “” Start an additional engine for person power for a heavy lift."

6 Likes

Base pay changing from monthly to bi-weekly is a different animal than 28 day overtime calculation. If both change to 14 days, then maybe it helps for schedule options. But if it seems like the payroll people are swamped right now, watch what happens when they have to calculate OT twice as often.

Another problem happens when the schedule doesn’t repeat evenly within the pay period, currently 28 days. The hourly rate for OT changes whether there are 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 regular, scheduled shift days worked in a given pay period. Shortening the pay period to match when the schedule repeats fixes that issue. Kelly days on or off also may fix that, or come close. Bean counters hate the variation because they can’t predict or average the OT costs.

Been through this, lawsuit between agency and bargaining unit.

1 Like

Buzz word? Is asking a state in a budget deficit to add an additional 3000+ positions without taking anything from its employees not a heavy lift? Use whatever term you’d like. NO ONE, including yourself thought it would result in no losses. That’s measurably a heavy fiscal lift.

3 Likes

It’s the same line I’ve heard from dozens and dozens of union leaders. It’s a buzz word used when people question the talking points. I appreciate the hard work the union is doing I really do. But our union sucks at being open, honest, and transparent. So when I hear buzz words or emotional statements (we volunteer to do this) it tells me we’re about to eat a $hit sandwich. Just like we did with the 260.

And let’s be honest for a second. If everyone stopped volunteering and we spent 11 plus million a year on a negotiation team. Would we be worse off?

3 Likes

:joy: you think all the union does is sit at the bargaining table once every few years for the next MOU?

I’ll admit the transparency can be better, and I think it will come in time. What have you been lied to about?

1 Like

You think I literally meant just a bargaining team??:rofl::rofl: I don’t think the team could do the heavy lifting of all the leftover money.

I’m all for it. Give me a 48/96 and I’ll heavy lift all the money you need. Using terminology specific to the industry is called buzz words now apparently, so next time I get assigned primary search or topside vent I’ll tell the IC how funny his buzzwords are :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I like lifting heavy. But I’m not doing any cardio, I don’t care what schedule it gets me.

2 Likes

From personal observations, it appears many units will be doing a 1 or 2 work period rotate backwards schedule. Talking to friends in the RRU, the vote is overwhelming for a Modified Kelly backwards.

Now the question to be asked, Who works all the OT till everyone gets hired?

With those units that haven’t begun to hire a 3 platoon of employees, those units that run traditional staffing models & have a shortage of FC. How will the FORCE hire issues be handled? What changes will happen with AAV bidding and the 20% rule?

All schedules show 7 potential days of OT with the addition of
“C” platoon.

You know what rhymes with horse?

1 Like

Divorce? Forced intercourse?? Discourse??

5 Likes

I think you get the plan lol

Yeah…….about that. You mean the rainbows and unicorns don’t’ just magically happen when the 66 starts? How dare you insinuate people will get forced to work the 12th day they just got taken off the pay period. So for the 3 to 5 year total implementation we’re still going to have to work the “O” word and like it? Shift pattern 4 will still get used with the nastiness of “operational need”? I was promised champagne not sparkling apple juice. Seems like penitentiary fornication until the math maths up. Or one might say smoke showing from the mirror room in the funhouse at the fair.

5 Likes

The shortage of available blue collar workers will continue for the foreseeable future.

Forcy Bear will need to expand his family to account for the year round, statewide force hire problems that are about to begin.

1 Like

You mean when you declare a war on cops, and treat’em like dirt, you don’t think there will be a recruitment problem? When you turn serious felonies to misdemeanor’s in the Ca. law don’t you think cops get tired of the jail turnstyle where as fast as you arrest the criminals they are back on the street. Who would work in those environments? Divorce anyone should be the motto for Cal Fire. Go to work, don’t sleep, get forced O.T. for days, what’s changed? It’s all about the State mission, not the betterment of the employee. The sooner the young learn that the better.

10 Likes

CAL FIRE is paramilitary. With paramilitary comes all the commitment and issues of being this kind of organization. It’s too large and like the military you get a lot of supervisors who aren’t very good at being leaders. The department calls the classes for those personnel leadership courses, but it’s really a reframed version of supervision. If you really believe terrible leaders can be trained in two weeks, well let’s just say you get what you get.

It’s a good paying blue collar job. Those that have educations understand they have other options for employment. This is what CHP and CAL FIRE are up against. It’s an honorable career and performs a vital public service but it’s not all roses and sunshine, part of the indoctrination is to help you believe it looks and smells that way. Let’s just say after thirty years of watching the same movie that has been remade, you get a full spectrum view.

7 Likes

Their 12 percent raise looks nice

2 Likes