CA-BDF-Vista ???

Good view of it burning along the ridge from here:
https://ops.alertcalifornia.org/cam-console/2355

Edit: moved the camera as soon as I posted

3 Likes

What are the “yellow posts”?

1 Like

Dispersed/primitive camping sites that are marked with yellow posts. Apparently its just a San Bernardino thing as I’m learning

4 Likes
3 Likes

How close is the fire to crossing Lytle Creek (the creek not the town)? The nightime IR makes it seem like the fire is bumping the area now. Would put the fire in alignment but in the Blue Cut scar.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, is the Blue Cut much of a scar at this point? I haven’t been up there in years.

2 Likes

This is an important question. If it crosses Lytle Creek on the east side of the fire it will be in alignment to make a run towards gobblers nob and then potentially traverse the top of Lone pine canyon towards Wrightwood.

4 Likes

Blue cut scar has had a lot of re growth and a high dead to life ratio. that being said, I would say that it would be a good place of opportunity to make a good stop,
As one that has lived in Wrightwood for over 30 years and also went thru the blue cut fire, that fire nuked the burn foot print and has not fully recovered .
also spent my last 30 years in wildland fire fighting

15 Likes

That answers my question perfectly. Thank you for the Intel sir.

2 Likes

the Blue cut, was that the one we lost the airtanker on?

1 Like

Good guess, but no run. See what anvilhead posted in the IA forum:

3 Likes

Vista Fire late last night from Cleghorn and the 15. You can see the nav light trail of what I’m guessing is one of the QRF ships over the fire. Would come by every 10-15 minutes or so. Good amount of smoke was settled into the Fontana area. Definitely gave me chills from the Blue Cut which I photographed, standing on the empty 15 freeway back then was very Mad-Max. This one, while always a concern in that area, felt a little less chaotic.

Edited post to resize image and add a panorama.

11 Likes

is that right in that canyon below the ski lifts on the other side?

2 Likes

Not entirely sure, given my lower elevation perspective and having to zoom in, perspective is a little skewed. I’d defer to the ops map for today or IR.

2 Likes

Yes. Just below the notch. Maps are in IA thread

4 Likes

Does anyone have flight aware or can say what aircraft over fire…last little flare up other than Coulsan’s CH47???

https://ops.alertcalifornia.org/cam-console/2733

1 Like

Looks like a CH-47 and an S-61 currently over the fire.

2 Likes

AA-310 as ATGS earlier today…

4 Likes
4 Likes

Update from last night, 2810 acres, 17%contained. Weather was overcast with subtropical flow (higher RH) and the fire bumped into higher terrain features aiding in slowing the fires progress. Minor smoke production yesterday on Bailey Peak 1 cam, no smoke this morning.
EDIT: Fire Weather Watch in effect for the area due to possibility of high based thunderstorms with dry lightning possible and 45-60 mph outflow. Could create challenges.

9 Likes