CA-BTU-Camp??

This number will continue to rise as search teams continue their gruesome job! Keep Strong

2 Likes

When I saw mention of “Branch 11” I thought someone had misread Branch II as Branch 11. Nope! This fire actually has that number of divisions. The feds would have split this fire into 2-3 “zones” with a Type I team for each zone and put an Area Command team as IC. Cal Fire disagrees with this and thus has this number of divisions and says that the ICS was not designed to have two command teams on one fire. The feds say that is true, but more than 5-6 branches exceeds the desired span of control of 5. As this is going to occur more frequently in the future, perhaps we need to rename a group of about 5 branches and have multiple zones under one IMT. As for the title of the position in charge of a “zone,” I think “Zone Patron” has a ring to it, but that sounds silly. So what is left? Zone Chief (would cause confusion with operations, plans, logistic, etc.). Zone Senior Director (too wordy?) or Zone President (implies a democracy), maybe Zone Manager (managers are normally subordinate to directors), Zone Assistant IC (implies that there would be Zone IC’s) or Zone Vice IC?

I downloaded the missing persons list and noted it has about 100-110 persons on it. I hope all are found, but I don’t think that will be the outcome, unfortunately. Most seem to be at least 60+ years in age. I don’t think that is a cause, but reflects the existing demographic of that area.

2 Likes

Even though they have it named Branch 10 and 11, there are a total of 5 Branches on this fire - so within ICS designed span of control. With it going unified with USFS, and half the fire front reaching into the forest, it could easily expand into a state and a fed Zone with teams on each. They numbered and labeled their Divisions and Branches accordingly for further expansion if/when it is needed.

12 Likes

I’m kind of an ICS nerd and love that you put the thought into this. It will be interesting to see how this will get decided. Firescope was so long ago.

1 Like

Confused at Statement “FIRESCOPE was so long ago”. I believe it continues to evolve.

3 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: CA conflagrations cause and prevention?? (off topic taken out of BTU-Camp)

Not the time or the place

3 Likes

Anybody know if the active heat in the north along hwy 70 was a from a burn op? Or is that still uncontrolled?

1 Like

I’ve been away from map intel today but had ears on command in the background. Sounds like some firing operations around Bear Ranch Com site with mendocino hotshots. I only had half an ear today. Lots of T1 copter work up in there today around the heel and 70.

4 Likes

The latest numbers as of 1800 hours Thursday night. 140,000 acres with 40% containment. 63 confirmed fatalities, destroyed structures: 9,700 single family homes, 118 multi-family homes, 290 commercial buildings, and 1,750 other structures for a total of 11,862 destroyed structures.

2 Likes

The California National Guard troops are Combat engineers out of Chico and Petaluma. They are trained in search and extraction among other things. … I believe

Does anybody have the address of the ICP, we’ve got 5 cases of Fire Wipes(decon wipes) that have been donated and want to get them to those who need them.

3 Likes

Silver Dollar Fairgrounds in Chico, Ca.

3 Likes

ICP is at the Silver Dollar Fairgrounds. 2357 Fair St. Chico, CA. 95928

2 Likes

First day of demob in camp

2 Likes

Presidential Motorcade left Chico Airport and is headed up Skyway to Paradise. Unknown where all they will visit.

2 Likes

Silver Doller Fairgrounds for Fire ICP
Thermalito Forebay North Picnic for Law ICP
Western side of Chico Airport for the logistics camp for CalOES, CalGuard, FEMA, EMSA, and other disaster support.

A very large scale PGE camp setup off Skyway near the Tuscan Ridge golf course. A “new” city that nearly rivals a fire camp. Another smaller camp on south Clark Rd in town. Comcast setup at their Chico office off Eaton, lots of fiber pull as well as ATT. Verizon and ATT both are feeling pain in their wireless networks with demand in Chico. They’re working on ramping up service even more. ATT portable Cell On Wheels on lower Skyway in Paradise while TMobile is setup at KMart building to support contractors and public safety in town.

2 Likes

2-4 inches of rain on the 6 day outlook for the burn area.

2 Likes

Sure hope the NWS is right!

The rain would be great just hope for no mid slides.

3 Likes