CA-BTU-Dixie?

I think a lot of the new growth in the area it was burning, based off last nights IR, are trees planted as SPI plantations. The Moonlight in general is really variable in terms of standing veg - dense ceanothus in some areas, sparse pine plantations in others, and even pockets of remaining green forest from 2007. If it gets established in the moonlight area it could really take off with the W/NW winds.

2 Likes

Firing op around Prattville last night saved all structures. Dicey to say the least but Division Mike and resources jumped on the opportunity and made the plan work.

31 Likes

I keep reading the Dixie is the largest single fire in CA history. Isn’t Dixie technically a complex because it merged with the Fly fire?

Gotta be number 1 by a mile.

They deemed the Fly a spot a few days back I thought… that would make it a single fire not a complex.

1 Like

Apologies if it’s already been posted, but I couldn’t find it in the 1200+ posts.

Has a damage assessment map been posted or made available yet?

2 Likes

PGE told the state that the fly may have been caused by another tree hitting another powerline. I had the same thought that it should technically have made it a complex. Although I don’t know off hand how many acres the fly actually was and either way the Dixie will end up the number one biggest fire in California state history with or without the fly acreage.

2 Likes

I was wondering that too.

1 Like

If we aren’t accurate in calling it a complex, isn’t that going to allow PG&E to fly under the radar on the Fly fire? (No pun intended)

2 Likes

Not a spot, but VERY related ignition source

2 Likes

Damage Assessment Map here, of course ongoing so currently not complete:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=91c5dc150e53415fa85a2420871aa214

9 Likes

Its already is the largest individual fire, broke that record yesterday.

4 Likes

Technically if the Fly and Dixie burned together it would just be one fire like the Hennessey fire last year.

3 Likes

The Dixie probably would have burned all that anyway so let’s just call it one fire!

8 Likes

you’ve got that right.

1 Like

Let’s get it put out everyone wants to see Mom’s, Dad’s, Kid’s etc before another month goes by. Haven’t seen one of mine in a month! Scary part is now is when we should start burning.

10 Likes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fire.ca.gov/media/4jandlhh/top20_acres.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjkwfTqgZ3yAhXV-J4KHceJDN0QFnoECAMQAg&usg=AOvVaw2rHyXSWoGulvun1mkFswCC

2 Likes

Well here is a thought and not to get into the weeds of fire department financing 101 class,

Much like looking at financial loss of a structure fire (residential/commercial) in regards to various components of taxation to a community, what would the financial impact of loosing timber sales/board feet of lumber (current price or 3 year trend)?

Looking at this sort of loss may be another way of securing prevention/severity funding or increasing suppression assets.

One of my favorite conversations at city hall…

“so Chief, how many fires did you prevent today?..All of them, Mr. City Manager!”

13 Likes

Evidently it isn’t considered a complex for a couple of reasons, regardless of if there is more than one fire and if they did or did not burn together.

Incident Complex (NWCG - NIMSIC)
Two or more distinct incidents in the same general area that, by management action, are managed under a single incident commander or unified command in order to improve efficiency and simplify incident management processes.
Definition Extension: 1) An Incident complex is not a wildfire incident and is not interchangeable with a wildfire record. 2) An Incident Commander or Incident Management Team may manage multiple wildfires without creating an incident complex.

8 Likes