CA-BTU-North Complex West Zone

4 Likes

Bloomer Lookout might be overrun with fire soon…

http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastamodoc/index.html?camera=Axis-BloomerLookout1&v=81e002f

Probably not…the fire is backing into the mountain top, the dozer just went by, there is a hose lay in place along with a hand crew firing around the infrastructure. I think it will be ok.

5 Likes

Crews are doing firing ops to actually protect this site.

5 Likes

you bet…great action
this camera will see tomorrow

2 Likes

Just got a chance to talk on local radio about this fire. Here’s a link. https://cpa.ds.npr.org/kcho/audio/2020/09/20002_cvw_09_10_2020_pm.mp3
The whole episode was pretty well done, I thought. My part starts at 20:00.

18 Likes

Zeke,
That was one of the best response, statements…well done…my hat and respect is to you brother. thanks for what you did and are doing.

3 Likes

Now moving all resources assigned to Forbestown to Highway 162 and Forbestown immediately to stage

2 Likes

Nice job. Ill admit I’m biased but can we not call the mid August lightning event a “bust”. Fire Weather Watches for dry lightning were posted about 36 hours early and Red Flag Warnings with about 18 hours lead time. 2008 caught us with our pants down, no argument on the bust word there.

2 Likes

I’m not sure of the origin of the term “bust” but to do not believe it is derogatory in nature. We love our IMET’s.

1 Like

I’d never heard ‘bust’ meant un-forecasted. Learn something new every day!

3 Likes

Zeke in the term of “Lightning Bust” I am right with you in your definition of a lot of wide spread lightning, I have never heard of it tied to “unforecasted”.

1 Like

Lightning bust totally a thing.
IMETs rock.

1 Like

Super well done and professional. You were certainly helped by having
an interviewer who had done some homework, and was pretty well
versed on the subject, unlike many we see on TV.

1 Like

Thank you for the link and all of your knowledge, hoping people will hear that publication and take your advice seriously!! I live in PLUMAS county, Claremont was literally 5 miles from my mother’s home and about 15 from mine- so in awe of all that was accomplished with such short resources and such horribly managed and neglected forests!! And am aware of how easily that fire could have turned the other direction, we are so fortunate!! Thank you again and may I share the link?

Thanks @pyrodactyl! Yes, for sure - the guy who did the interview is named Matt Fidler. He put together some great local programming after the Camp Fire, and got funding from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company to produce a four-part radio series about fire in California. I was impressed with how gracefully he pulled together all the different interviews he did into a cohesive story. I highly recommend listening to it. It is called California Burning. https://www.californiaburning.net/
(Sorry to tie up the incident info thread, maybe mods can move this to ???)

5 Likes

Todays Overview Ops Map:

3 Likes

Here are a few images captured today, 9/11/2020, about 14:00.
Some old-growth areas in the deep canyons of the Middle Fork Feather River didn’t get blasted in the initial run, and are getting backing fire. Not a lot of growth in past 2 days, hot spots are evident in the imagery.
For more images and interp, check out the Deer Creek GIS Facebook Page.

9 Likes

Thanks Zeke. Sad to see my old Division decimated…

2 Likes

With respect to the people posting, seems like a lot of the posts have gotten off track on this fire? It happens! Maybe the Mods can preserve those posts and get it back to the fire?

3 Likes