CA-BTU-PARK-2024???

There was a lot of KCRA live helicopter footage of the fire as it burned up to 32 at the time. I presume most of that is now available as videos on Youtube. From my observation it was heavy brush fire of course, consuming crowns where it came to them. It was a wonder they held that road, as much fire as it had pushing against it.

4 Likes

Per Lassen Volcanic National Park -
Lassen Volcanic National Park is now closed due to the encroaching Park Fire. Campgrounds have been evacuated & reservations have been canceled. All park employees have been evacuated. The fire has potential to reach both Manzanita Lake & Mineral HQ. Hwy 89 through the park is open only for evacuation. (per watch Duty)

5 Likes

Minimal smoke production on all cameras. Minimal energy it appears also. Compared to the previous 2 days. They’ll have this knocked out by morning and it will be time to start getting good containment and hose around it. I don’t see this expanding much more but time will tell.

4 Likes

Getting hose put in AROUND a fire that has traveled 40+ miles isn’t going to happen in a couple hours lol. This fire isn’t going to be put to bed for some time yet and better hope a ton of progress is made before the next heat wave sets in.

28 Likes

Well that is optimistic

10 Likes

All I will say is a picture is worth a thousand words

15 Likes

If you look at the satellite view there are multiple tall columns standing up and a significant heat signature on the north and east sides

3 Likes

100% agree cause I thought the same thing with the Dixie and there probably hose still out there . I remember after words we went out for smoke checks til it pretty much snowed

8 Likes

Just because it’s not making 20 mile head runs doesn’t mean it’s over. The crews are kicking butt, but it’s not over until it’s out. Your optimism is a little excessive.

10 Likes

You obviously have never seen the terrain on the east side. It will be a major accomplishment if they’re able to get into and put direct line where it is right now.

8 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but acreage this morning was 307,000 and now it is 350,000 so we still have 47,000 acres of growth over the course of the day.

9 Likes

Completely incorrect. This fire is far from over, it increased by 50,000 acres today. It is going to take 3-4 weeks if not longer to obtain proper containment.

12 Likes

Well, 43,000, but your general point is correct. I remember a time when a 43,000 acre fire spread over several days would have been considered a very large fire. Now we burn that much in a few hours on what is a comparatively tame day on a fire. Given the terrain, fuels, the upcoming weather and the fact that containment is still 0%, I would expect this has a long ways to go.

10 Likes

Now that guy’s got the right idea.

IMG_7323

21 Likes

Look, if I was good at math I wouldn’t be a fireman.

31 Likes

I think @fyre is trying to be positive as this has been the best day of resistance and progress, weather wise and therefore, operationally. I think it’s safe to say that we all know this will be a fire that will likely not hit be hitting 100% until months from now.

9 Likes

That’s only 52 hose modules… I am sure if we pull from all the cashes we might be able to make that work. But that’s only if there are no other fires this year… Then again we will need 25 hose modules just to recomplement the 200 type 3 engines assuming they used all 1200 feet each.

We will be on this fire until October at the earliest.

13 Likes

In regard to this speculation, it is worth watching Zeke’s well informed and well thought-out Lookout live stream from this morning.

16 Likes

I was at the Dixie for 21 days, there were a handful of days where it laid down some and the inversion would lift late in the day and winds would kick up and it would spark off 150k acres the next day. It had very little fire activity one day and the wind kicked up and blew embers across the line and we lost 250k acres over the next day and a half. It’ll be quite some time before it’s “wrapped up”.

10 Likes

They haven’t even made the hose yet that will be used to mop this fire up…

31 Likes