CA-BTU-PARK-2024???

To the extent this refers to something I posted a few days ago - there was no intent to question any strategic decisionmaking or monday morning quarterback - only a little peeve I had about an issue of local geography that was getting communicated with a lack of clarity in the press and public briefings, a few days in a row. Our local news outlets are not staffed to do in-depth reporting, and so some inaccurate info has been propagated at times.

I recognize that the command teams are not locals, and I was too flippant in griping about an issue that’s really of no consequence to the operational plan, when the person in question is managing a massively complex team which is truly doing incredible work on this fire.

Anyway - no more from me on the topic. Especially since in this morning’s ops update, he got it completely right. :wink:

6 Likes

I thought you wanted to ease up on screen grabs for a spell?

21 Likes

Putting some numbers to the wet ground reports:

9 Likes
3 Likes

I went out to Windy Cut on Hwy 32 about 1700 last night. It was socked in with smoke, visibility about 4 miles, low 70s for temp and dead calm. The FFs have a great window to take advantage of, and there are a lot of them out there. Looks like there is some well-established fire in really difficult parts of Deer and Mill Creek Canyons, but a lot of good work is getting done right now.
Interesting fire effects in the areas which were fired off upper Hwy 32! A lot of dense younger stands had higher survival than I’d have expected, and some of the heavily-thinned fuel break areas barely carried ground fire at all.

16 Likes

Sorry I’ m late but I want to see those Screen Grabs. After 38 years on the ground with crews I can in vision much more through them and don’t have the time (or ability, I’m old) to find them when they do.

18 Likes

some of the heavily-thinned fuel break areas barely carried ground fire at all

The IR perimeters were showing an island of green in there for days after the lighting operation. I kept hoping to wake up and find they had blackened it all overnight - finally seems to have filled in.

2 Likes

Watch Duty is reporting that evacuations in Butte Meadows, Jonesville and Inskip have been downgraded to warnings.

2 Likes
4 Likes

So currently at 401,199 its 4th thats. freaking nuts.

4 Likes

It’s doesn’t appear there is any incoming weather that could cause drastic increases in fire growth? There minimal smoke on cameras and it appears to be fairly clear this afternoon. Yesterday was chugging but today seems much different.

Any opinions or thoughts? I imagine it’ll continue to creep up Mill Creek but it doesn’t seem like it’ll really test there containment lines unless Mill Creek really blows up one day? Thoughts?

3 Likes

Tonight’s Lookout Livestream looks at the fire effects of the Park Fire on forested lands. We check out a progression map and satellite imagery of the fire’s burn patterns captured on 8/1/2024. https://youtube.com/live/wX08LKeRPUY

12 Likes

I think page 16, 17 and 18 of todays IAP outlines what’s in store for Branch 18.

1 Like

For some reason, IAPs are not being entered into the NIFC FTP site.

IAPs, maps, 209s, etc.

https://calfire.app.box.com/s/ng6999xbtcw99rsai8jgxe2sr3bileae

7 Likes

Looks like a good amount of smoke production today. Lots of spots popping up on cameras. Anyone on this incident?

1 Like

Yeah there’s new spot fire happening. Out of our division to hit it though

1 Like

Where division?

Don’t remember, in Branch 15

Just spent the evening at Windy Cut. The Deer Creek portion of the fire was pretty quiet. The big smoke production looked like it was all over in Mill Creek, from where we sat.

9 Likes