CA-CNF-Holy???

Kurth’s Team is available.

True they just finished Ferguson

You are correct, but they just had two days RR and are back on the board as of Yesterday.

I am aware of the notorious Elsinore effect. I understand that what you are saying is that they are expecting a sudden wind shift. On that and that alone I would NOT fire. Guess I was hoping for a sooner (earlier condition for that). Don’t have any comms or scanner and Broadcastify is limited. I thank you for telling me about air craft. Can’t see that lift from the Santiago Fire cam. Column collapse is no joke! Thanks for your insight.

Resources from IA to additional reported structure fire in the area (Temescal fire) have been absorbed into Holy fire. Additional resource request cancelled, will be handled by main fire branch. Air attack has shift-changed to night, will be re-starting tankers.

The 1 hour time lapse from Santiago Peak West is a great visual of the Elsinor effect.

To get time lapse, right click on the image on a PC or hold down on a mobile phone and select 1 hour. Pretty impressive.

http://www.alertwildfire.org/orangecoca/

5 Likes

unless one has experienced the Elsinore Effect, it is hard to believe that it will cause the fire to move radically in all four aspects. watch your rear up there. seen it more times than one should see. be safe and as Doug Dent always said… the most important thing is getting home. please be safe out there.

11 Likes

Watched it. Had no idea you could do the time lapse so I did the 6 hour from 3-9pm and I’m blown away. Heavy easterly push the whole time and even so at night with down canyon pushes. Totally different.

2 Likes

Anybody have the QR for the IAP on the Holy incidnt?

I have new concerns in leau of the activity last night. The fire pushed over Ortega highway and MODIS shows two heat signatures south of highway 74 but east of South Main Divide Rd. Hopefully they can run dozer line down from S Main Divide to the loop on Ortega and tie it in. The fire will do more damage to homes if it got established down into Decker Canyon.
On the Northwest side of the fire it burned up and over Modjeska Peak from the north side (along Main Divide Rd) and spotted over down into the headwaters of the Silverado Canyon Rd and Modjeska Canyon. The good news is that there is a lot of roads and fuel breaks to work with and the winds have predominantly kept this fire to the east. I would hate to see this fire threaten the homes all along Silverado Canyon.
Will be watching closely over next few days.
Haven’t observed any reports of any long range spotting even on the east and south east side so far and re-treatment of retardant in areas like the ridges and around structures seems to have been helpful. Hoping the weather and some early morning incident briefings will give team a chance to do some firing ops.

OK, it may be a little of topic, but I truly think it’s worth watching - this get’s personal:

4 Likes

If you watch the other video from Frank it shows from the back bedroom, the short burst, straight stream water conserving tactics used to help reduce heat and direct flame impingement on homes under fire. Awesome that they could stay and make a stand. Not always the case.

SO here is what I am wondering! ARE the SUPER SCOOPERS IN CA? can we borrow one for the UNHOLY FIRE for a couple days? CAN OUR buddies at MARCH ARB AND CAMP PENDELTON HELP OUT.?? I AM sure that they have resources. HAS ANY BIG WIG in FIRE HQ thought of this??

1 Like

The Super Scoopers are here. I heard traffic about them this morning.

Nothing at MARB to use (F-16’s, C-17’s KC-135’s and a few Predators).
USMC has resources, but as I understand it, they are used as a last resort.

This has been talked about for years and I saw a post on Twitter about them training with CALFire in the San Diego area in the Spring.
The bigwigs are well aware of it, but it’s not as simple as slinging a bucket under a CH-53 and putting them to work and expecting them to be as effective as a crew that fights fires for a living, not to mention the usual red tape.

2 Likes

As far as I am aware MAFS has been initiated and they are based out of Orange County. They have been using them throughout the State and the West. Part of not having the Super Scoopers is the fact that Canada is also burning. We are not the only state on fire or with an immediate need. The Super Scoopers usually are contracted in the Fall for wind event fires after the need in Canada has subsided

1 Like

Currently two super scoopers are working the fire on the south end loading out of lake elsinore.

1 Like

I’ve always wondered what air space they need to operate and what their fill site standards are. In my nine years of FFing I never got to see one on incident but I’ve heard of their use. Perhaps feds have different red tape than CalFire.

They need a body of water at least 6 ft Deep and about a mile of length to get a full load.

2 Likes

Lake Elsinore is perfect dip site. 10 mintue turn around if that .

2 Likes

Thanks Mark41. That’s pretty cool and gsw I was thinking Lake E was prime for scoopers too. A friend who retired from LP 527 told me recently, the air world is constantly changing and you really have to stay up with it. I know this team is Unified Command but the bulk of territory is the Cleveland NF which is USFS. On this fire there is a retardent avoidance zone along Coldwater Canyon. I assume that is because it leads to two drinking water reservoirs but IDK. Perhaps there are limitations on drops, combined with cost/bids federally that have come into play for R5 which have prohibited their use federally. I don’t pretend to know CalFire. I know federally we have a lot more NEPA and environmental concerns to comply with. Just thinking outloud. I’d have to make a phone call to get more info. Whatever the reason, if it’s true that there are two on incident, I think it’s great! Anyone know what their designators are?