CA-ENF-Caples???

MAYBE NOT… PROJECT IS FOR 8k AND THEY ARE ONLY 1k INTO IT…MAY (HOPEFULLY) WILL WORK OUT…PROBLEM IS A LOT OF FIRES ARE GOING TO DRAW DOWN RESOURCES

Caples Fire - 30% contained at 2000 acres 1630 hours

2 Likes

Is it confirmed escaped and now declared wildfire?

Yes, lassen hot shots enroute this afternoon. Pulling dispatchers tomorrow.

Lot of smoke for 30% contained

Even if declared a wildfire, I wouldn’t say this makes the project of a failure.

That forest has a number of solid fuels and fire management leaders.

Obviously this could turn real bad, not there yet, IMHO.

To do large landscape burning, escape is the risk you take, you know that going in.

Nothing to laugh about. Five years from now if a wildfire gets checked up by that rx, you will never know how many $’s you saved and how much exposure to injury/life risks you reduced.

10 Likes

That’s unfortunate, every escape gets politicized 10X, and most that go well are unnoticed. Hopefully caught soon to minimize the political fallout. I would assume a IMT would come in to take it over due to the complexities and public interest. Any update on acreage?

Hats off to Eldorado managers for taking on risk and supporting landscape fire use.

They always look worse at night -

4 Likes

There is a type 3 team taking over tomorrow. They’re expecting to have 400 personnel on scene as of tomorrow evening.

1 Like

2273 acres on today’s map…but it looks a little bigger than that on the MODIS imagery

It looks a lot tamer today. Hopefully, they can bring the intensity back within the prescription boundaries and the Rx portion can be continued.

2 Likes

Can you post the map?

GOES imagery loop:

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/goes/sector_band.php?sat=G17&sector=psw&band=GEOCOLOR&length=12

Good response!
I’ve been there…so I know how it feels!

This paints a slightly different picture. At the end, if they can tie it in and put it to bed without damage to private holdings then bravo ENF, but if not…:man_shrugging:

so it did what a pre-1850’s fire would have done. Remained on the ground burning surface and ground fuels mainly before mother nature stirred it up and it made stand thinning/replacing runs. All this to return to a more natural state and stayed within the Rx boundaries. Okay.

3 Likes

If only they would word it that way, because that’s the truth

1 Like

XSA sending REMS out…ETA 2000

1 Like