CA-ENF-Fork???

Evacuation WARNING for Volcanoville and eastward.

Notice went out via El Dorado County Code Red. There’s concern about people not getting notifications due to current PSPS event underway.

1 Like

Seems bigger than the reported 500 acres if they are giving evac warnings for Volcanoville

With the strong wind on this all day and humidities around 10-15%, I don’t know why this isn’t a lot bigger.

1 Like

long narrow burn. will widen when it is not so wind drive and flanks might widen and the monster will grow in a lot more directions

2 Likes

That’s some rough country back up in there.

1 Like

****** Due to changes in the fire behavior, the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office is issuing an Evacuation Order. All residents and visitors in the areas of Stumpy Meadows, Quintette, and Volcanoville are required to evacuate. This is a mandatory evacuation for your safety. Please leave immediately and proceed in an orderly manner toward Georgetown. A temporary evacuation point has been set up at the Cool Community Church, 863 Cave Valley Rd, Cool, CA 95614.

The El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office has deputies in the area and they will remain in the area to provide security in the evacuated areas.

1 Like

That is strange about no aircraft on the fire. Policy for North and South Ops wildland agencies is new fires take priority. Did that policy change?

It was too turbulent earlier for AA

They tried, way too windy and visibility was bad. AA was around for awhile.

Totally understand now. Thanks yo both of you.

2 Likes

Winds! They were hitting 40+

1 Like

From FlightAware24, it looks like two SuperScoopers are on the fire using Loon Lake.

1 Like

Yes, they were available in Chico, so AA ordered them up a couple hours ago. Either Loon lake or Hell Hole are very quick turns from the fire.

1 Like

Wow, I’m surprised Loon Lake is long enough to allow the aircraft to scoop-n-go. Thanks for the updates.

2 Likes

I would be more worried about all of the rocks just below the surface

3 Likes

I do not know how deep they go…but hitting a rock or anything would ruin their day for sure.

1 Like

***Edited: Sorry, I was mistaken and have edited below.

Not much actually. Only need about 6-10’ depth and the length about 2000’, just shy of a mile. Plus a little more room for approach and departure depending on how high they need to lift. They don’t need a straight shot and can turn with the curvature of the water source so rivers are easily used.

Loon Lake at the easiest run is a 1.5 miles long, longer if you turn.

Had a buddy fly those 15+ years in Canada, highly skilled pilot, crazy as S*&%.

11 Likes

Good day to learn things. Thanks for the details, really thought they needed more distance, but if you have the power and the lift, it gives you a lot more to work with regards to the performance of the aircraft. Thank You

2 Likes

Loon Lake is about 1000 feet (=/-) higher that the fire elevation. Depending on the wind direction this afternoon, if they were making an east to west run on the lake, they were only 2-3 minutes out from the fire, and dropping 1000". This is beyond the prefect scenario for the scoopers. They would then climb back to the lake elevation when they were empty and light.

3 Likes

Sorry, I had to update my original post. I had the 300’ long mixed up with 300’ wide per his requirements 5 years ago. But, he said that the risks often required them to run in much tighter spaces with shorter distances, just not always a full load.

Just wanted to make sure I kept the record straight.

2 Likes