CA-KNF-SLATER

Hasty stitched Ops Map for Today:

2 Likes

That was a barn fire in the Janesville area of Lassen County.

1 Like

Thanks. Sorry to hear about the barn, but glad it is controlled.

Evacuation Order for Gasquet has been reduced to an evacuation warning.

3 Likes

Stiched Ops Map Today:

3 Likes

Mario Gomez is the DFMO at Happy Camp and here is a
moving report he posted somewhere about the IA of the Slater Fire.

This post from Mario Gomez.

*The Slater Fire initial attack was hands down the tuffist fire fight I have ever been in, I arrived at the lookout at around 730 am to rescue our employee and by 930 I had fire rolling through houses and blowing across Indian creek like a freight train. I have been the ops chief on many recent catastrophic fires like the carr fire and the mendicino complex but being the IC and ops chief on a fire that burned through my home town, the place I was born and raised in and have been a firefighter in for 22 years was an experience I can’t even begin to explain to you. It was like we were all in a bad dream and couldn’t seem to wake up. *

Me and the rest of our local firefighters and folks that showed up from out of town did everything we possibly could to save as many lives as possible. At 11 pm we had fire roll on top of us in the meadows like a hurricane from hell and exploded the whole flat into a blazing inferno, we spent the next 4 hours with about 20 engines and our local crew saving what houses remain there today. It was a complete war zone with explosion after explosion, bullets going off, propane tanks blowing up and so much more.

The firefighters and law enforcement officers that spent that horrific 30 hours by my side are true hero’s. I can’t believe that with everything that happened and all the life risks we took, no first responders died it’s a complete miracle. So many of my family members, friends, and employees have lost their homes and everything they own. Many of them are firefighters that are still on the line fighting this blaze even though they have lost everything. Hero’s and true soldiers these guys and gals are amazing. I turned the fire over to my old type 2 incident management team so happy campers rest assured you are in good hands, and now I must leave my home and join my current type 1 incident management in southern California and help turn chaos into order once again.

35 Likes

Finally got an IR map! 122,066 for the Slater, 3,888 for the Devil.

Link if you want a closer look.

Also, here is the IAP.

6 Likes

24hrs Perimeter change from 2000 9/11 (green line) to 1900 9/12 (red line) from IR data.

3 Likes

How much rain fell on the Slater wildfire? Observations suggest the lowest amounts on the far eastern sections (0.2in) and highest amounts on the western sections (0.65in). The fire weather environment has changed significantly from yesterday. #SlaterFire #orwx #cawx pic.twitter.com/aVy54NkoMy

— NWS Medford (@NWSMedford) September 24, 2020

Hopefully they can put this one to bed before the heat wave/wind event starts. NWS Medford is already talking about 100 degree temps for Medford for the first week of October. Medford has never seen 100 degrees in October.

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: CA-KNF-SLATER???