CA-KRN/SQF-BOREL 2024???

flames crested Hooper Hill app 30 minutes ago.

6 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Borel 2024 -Havilah Resident

Update from Inciweb:

Moderate to rapid fire spread will continue to move to the east and north potentially impacting structures and infrastructure in the Bodfish, Moreland Mill, and French Meadow area. Movement to the south will impact Walker Basin.

A Red Flag Warning will continue for the fire area until 11 p.m.

8 Likes
Jul 29, 9:14 AM

Four large air tankers (LATs) and two very large air tankers (VLATs) requested by air attack. The fire is 53,010 acres

5 Likes

Tankers are currently dropping retardant on the northeast side of the fire, west of Burton Mill.

Update from Sequoia National Forest:

The fire advanced rapidly through sections of dry vegetation in hot, humid, and windy conditions, spreading north, east, and south. The fire continues to spread east down the ridgeline of Lieibel Peak. The southeastern edge is north of Walker Basin, where dozers constructed line to hold the fire in it’s current footprint. In the northern section, crews used both direct and indirect tactics to establish a contingency line off of Kern Canyon Road. Aerial resources, including helicopters and air tankers, are supporting ground crews in slowing the fire’s progression. Firefighters are focusing on protecting structures and establishing containment lines around the most active fire fronts. Today, fire behavior is expected to be severe again due to long-term red-flag-warning weather conditions.

Weather & Air Quality: A Red Flag Warning is in effect through 11 p.m. Monday for low relative humidity and elevated winds. Fire behavior on new and existing fires is expected to be extreme. Hot, dry conditions are expected today with wind gusts up to 35 mph. Westerly winds will remain elevated on ridgetops throughout Sunday night.

4 Likes

The mods have created an IA / Continuing Fire thread here now:

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: CA-KRN/SQF-Borel 2024

Just saw on IG that LAFD USAR RTF9 was deployed to this incident and I’m curious as to why if anyone has insight. I’d think they already have some REMS with a team in place.

2 Likes

Usually to it’s to do ground search for remains in the burn area. They will check all the destroyed structures.

5 Likes

USAR assets also deployed after the Camp Fire to search for remains. Not unusual on fires that destroy large numbers of structures.

5 Likes

USAR has deployed to Oregon and Paradise after large wildfires to look for the missing. The most recent mission was to New Mexico.

5 Likes

I remember seeing them at the Camp. I guess I just didn’t realize there were that many structures lost or person unaccounted for in the burn area. Maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere.

4 Likes

They can also Reload at SBD & MCC. both have the compressors needed. MAFFS2 & MAFFS6 reloading now SBD for the Nixon fire

5 Likes

View from bird springs.
https://ops.alertcalifornia.org/cam-console/1831

3 Likes

25 Likes

Spot on, that’s some great PR. I ate at Nelda’s for years, less than a half mile from my house way back when. Nelda’s, Cheryl’s and Francine’s (mom and 2 daughters) the Kern Valley’s only chain restaurant. Sorry for being nastalgic.

7 Likes

CA-RTF-9 was deployed by CAL OES to conduct wide area search on destroyed structures for potential victims.

As stated previously, RTFs and FEMA TFs have been used for this at 2018 Camp Fire (Paradise) and 2020 North Complex (Berry Creek).

RTF-9 will perform a wide area search and help bring closure to the families of the community.

5 Likes

Marc, is an awesome guy. Served with him as a DIVS on the team years ago. Well done sir.

2 Likes

I see where the Night Shift combo of Copters, a Dozer and Hand Crews are finishing 200 Chain of good finished line per shift. To me? Impressive.

4 Likes

Cadaver dogs and handlers. Impressive to watch them work.

3 Likes