Hearing they had a slop over and a spot over the line

2 Likes

Maybe LOL?

6 Likes

I would definitely say they’ve got some fire over the line :thinking:

5 Likes

She’s movin.

7 Likes

Bruh it’s like Borel looked at what Park was doing and went “hey, I wanna do something like that!”

11 Likes

Evacuation areas expanded. Warning for Havilah (Zone 737), but not Bodfish (yet). From Genasys Protect:

6 Likes

3 Likes

0200 hrs…The fire has made it to the top of the ridge in the area of Breckenridge Rd on the eastern side of the fire w/ an ember cast over the side towards the south-east. There are some spot fires that remain still north of Breckenridge Rd & the fire is not yet moving down slope per radio traffic around midnight.

In addition: the fire cameras in this area are also verifying that the fire is in that same described area, located to the N/NE of the Breckenridge camera + campground.

https://cameras.alertcalifornia.org/?pos=35.4500_-118.5900_10

4 Likes

Working on top of Breckenridge and the east side presents some additional challenges to the IMT. One of the biggest challenges is getting meaningful productive work done because of the travel times from Camp 9 all the way to the divisions. I would hope that they can at least consider 24 hour Operational Periods. Yes, I used to lament and complain about them… Until I read the studies. Less travel times on those roads is safer.

8 Likes

Any updates to the comm plan for today?

1 Like

A Red Flag Warning has been issued for the Lake Isabella and Kernville area of the Kern County Mountains through 11 PM PDT on Saturday. The area affected will experience strong wind gusts of 30 to 40 mph, along with low relative humidity of 15 to 20 percent.

7 Likes

The Borel fire, part of the Lightning Complex, is quite different from the other incidents the IMT has within its complex. The Borel is not a wilderness fire, but has now progressed into a wildland Intermix/Interface fire with significant numbers of cabins, homes, ranches and infrastructure directly in its path. By its nature it will need to be Unified Command with several AHJs that must be involved. This make it unique because Unified Command does not exist at the Operations Section Level, ICS wasn’t designed that way. Unified Command is at the command level. However, the wilderness fires are not the issue with the U.C. partners that need to be involved in a WUI incident.
Because the Borel is a branch within the complex, and not a separate incident, it makes it more complex to manage. It could/will be be further complicated by the need for a structure protection branch and several structure protection and evacuation groups to cover the intermix in the Breckenridge and Havilah communities.

14 Likes

To listen…
Command 169.7750

Div B Tac 166.7250
Div F Tac 166.7750
Borel Structure Group (empty) 168.600
Borel night 166.275

A-G

4 Likes

Probably the most expansive fire was the Rankin Fire of 1970. It covered from about Breckenridge Mountain Road to Caliente. Despite driving by/through the fire my folks bought the Old Canon ranch in Walker Basin that year.

It is ugly country in many places. A later Breckenridge fire is when Gary rolled the BLM dozer - I think it was either 5 or 8 times - end over end down a very steep embankment that gave out. He survived and was okay, the dozer, not so much.

12 Likes

Anyone know how many structure protection strike teams are called up? Local resident here in a hopefully safe area. Will be housing evacuees.
Fire, CalTrans, and county in discussion of expanding evacuation areas and official closures of Caliente Bodfish Road per personal communication with officials.

1 Like

Prior to attempting an answer, can I confirm if you are asking how many have been called up for the Borel in particular or how many are called up in general?

1 Like

Specific to Borel since it is the only real WUI fire in play in the Southern Sierra. Kennedy Meadows threat from Long and Trout appear mitigated for now. I understand flag can change anything on a moments notice.

1 Like

“Red flag conditions”

1 Like

She found something for an afternoon snack to romp on…

5 Likes