CA-LNF-Graham (Contained)

State ID: CA
3 letter designator: LNF
Fire name: Graham
Location: Graham Pinery in the Ishi WIlderness of Lassen National Forest, south side of Deer Creek, Caltopo link
Reported acres: 30
Rate of spread: MROS
Report on Conditions:
Structure threat: no
Resources: C205, C514, fixed wing, jumpers, no ground access
Radio channels: LNF Fire,
Scanner link: Northern Sacramento Valley Fire

WX:

Cameras:

5 Likes

OCFA’s FIRIS Intel 12 on the Graham Incident, Lassen National Forest. Fire mapped at 42 acres at 18:33 hours. https://twitter.com/FIRIS/status/1535079753320779778/video/1

4 Likes

2000 update: 50 acres, slow to moderate ROS grass brush, small spot over the south side of Wildcat creek, potential for several hundred acres.

Going to be a bucket show for a while. Historically large numbers of handcrews are ferried in by helicopter out of Vina Helitack and/or private airstrip at the end of the 68th Ave at Foothill Rd near the base of Dye Creek canyon.

Fire history for most of this footprint is the 2014 Campbell Fire.
GOES shortwave IR blew up in first 30min of fire and has been dissipating ever since…

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: CA-LNF-Graham??

Resource order for the morning includes AA, copter, 2 tankers and 2 heavies

5 Likes

https://www.alertwildfire.org/region/sierra/?camera=Axis-TuscanButte

2 Likes

Tile camera display.
https://www.alertwildfire.org/tile-display/viewer/?cams=Axis-Flournoy&cams=Axis-TuscanButte&cams=Axis-BaldMtnButte2

4 Likes

Here’s an IAP map from 2014 Campbell.

Avenza PDF here: http://the-lookout.org/i/20140108_1537_Campbell_CALNF27_1206day_iap_8X11_land.pdf

7 Likes

I found an old ‘Gigapan’ photo I took on Ponderosa Way, north of the Graham Fire. It’s not exactly the same topography as the fire, but pretty similar, tough ground. Beaver Creek Pinery is the flat butte on the far side of Deer Creek from this photo.
Click on the full-screen option.

6 Likes

0120: No significant growth of the fire tonight & the fire activity has moderated. Jumpers have line around the 1/4 acre spot fire on the eastern side of Wildcat Creek.

8 Likes

Four type2 rotor ordered up for crew transport. They’ll report to Chico AAB for now. One of the priorities last night was to attempt to cut out an LZ on a ridge closer to the fire large enough to squeeze a type 2 in there.

9 Likes

Looks Like CIIMT -14 ( Watkins) is getting activated, In-Brief 6/11 @ 1200 Dollar Fair Grounds in Chico…

11 Likes

New mapping of the #GrahamFire, captured at 11pm, 6/10/2022. About 150 acres, and 1.3 miles from heel to head. The 2014 Campbell Fire is shown in blue. We’ll have a video up later this morning about this fire and the Lassen Foothills in general on The Lookout YouTube channel.

9 Likes

They were hammering the east side hard with retardant yesterday, sometimes directly on the flames in attempt to stop its relentless spread east. With the terrain, the fire kept rolling out and spotting underneath itself.

The entire retardant show was in place to buy time to get the crews in. Three more hotshot crews will fly in today. They seemed confident those addl crews should wrap this up.

At one point when they lost their S2’s mid afternoon for IA, Susanville asked for Values At Risk to justify a 2nd Type 1 tanker. Air attack seemed a bit incredulous the question was asked, but answered high risk for escape to the east. I believe they got two more T1 and the S2’s came back. Some fixed wing released well before pumpkin sounds like they accomplished their goals last night.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Confusing information…original posts say no ground access, yet the info sheet says 13 type 3 engines and one dozer assigned.

4 Likes

And it mentions a dozer too which it was my understanding that dozers aren’t allowed on Forestry land and they couldn’t get in to this fire either. Although a friend of mine has been listening to the scanner traffic non stop and he did say that they have created a structure group… For what structures I have no idea.

2 Likes

I think they are flying in the crews. Lack of hand crews that are around, you use the engines and tool them up. There are some old structures just outside if the wilderness that they protecting, I believe. I could also see the dozer doing contingency work on the wilderness border. This is all a guess though.

7 Likes

Dozers were approved in the LNP last year on the Dixie Fire. They needed a high level of approval through the administering agency.

5 Likes

Yes I understand however haven’t heard they’ve been approved for this one. Just the use of retardant.

2 Likes