CA-LNU-Glass???

Is fire already past white cottage/ink grade? If not, seems like the most reasonable thing for protecting Angwin would be to bring fire along White Cottage from Deer Park rd to Ink Grade and down into Pope Valley.

It’s about halfway between Summit Lake Dr. and Ink Grade, to the East and downhill from White Cottage/Ink Grade intersection. There was significant discussion earlier about prepping Ink Grade to Pope Valley Rd and across to Aetna Springs for a firing op. I don’t know how far they got with that effort as the priorities keep changing. But that seems to be the general plan. The real question is going to be if the winds stay low and allow that work to get done. It’s a pretty big area with lots to do on the Ink Grade side.

1 Like

Tough to justify putting fire on ground in these scenarios. Not saying you shouldn’t either. Glad I am not making that decision.

1 Like

Reminds me of the old Hotshot adage “Don’t climb up the Devil’s @$$hole with a book of matches”.

8 Likes

Unfortunately, there aren’t any real good options through there. There are only less bad choices. Perhaps if the fire moderates some, they can get some direct work done but a lot of that area has not burned in my lifetime so they will have to choose which ugly option is least impactful. If the projected winds do appear, it’s all going to be a moot point anyway and it will go all the way to the origin of the Hennessey, which Div N will probably do anyway.

3 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Assumption of Risk

Moved all posts regarding the Unauthorized used of firing on the Glass Fire to a new category: Assumption of Risk found here: Assumption of Risk

9 Likes

Very different picture from the St. Helena South cam this morning as compared with the previous few mornings… clear-ish air, no inversion, breezy, and very active fire.

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Assumption of Risk

Yes. Air Ops is requesting AA140 to head to Div H this morning to support the dozer line being put in place.

3 Likes

I may have missed it, but has a link or QR been posted for the IAP?

https://ftp.nifc.gov/public/incident_specific_data/calif_n/!CALFIRE/!2020_Incidents/CA-LNU-015947_Glass/

1 Like

AA140 at scene along with what sounds like 6 tankers (Sonoma, Ukiah & Redding) doing structure protection and supporting indirect dozer line along the Hwy 29 area. AA notified that VLAT is available out of McClellan.

5 Likes

6 S-2’s and T-22 and T-23, currently.

3 Likes

Last night’s IR, with 2020 Hennessey Fire in purple.

2020 Hennessey Fire in purple, 2017 Tubbs in blue.

8 Likes

Thank you!

Thank you sir

2 Likes

Saw this video floating around online recently.

Pretty cool fire behavior at 4:19.

5 Likes