CA-MNF-August North Zone??

The Zogg fire in SHU

1 Like

It’s got some heat in it.
Go get em SHU

1 Like

Sounds like fire is starting to impact structures around Ruth Lake

4 Likes

Thanks @Suptwife for the great video update. He said everything I was about to say :wink:.

Quick summary from vid and my intel - fire on both east and west sides of Ruth Lake from this afternoon’s line blowout near Forest Glen and Hwy36. Hettenshaw camp had to bail fast and road north sounded like it was compromised and some had to make it down through Zenia. Yikes.

Zogg Fire - current conditions puts this fire at R Ranch sometime between midnight and 2am.

4 Likes

Still cranking ~ One hour loop on Hayfork cam

1 Like

North Command is scarily quiet this morning. I do have Zogg Cmd on a higher priority, but plenty of space to hear North Zone. Everyone scattered to the wind last night with the camp evacs, Hettenshaw to where? R Ranch overhead to Redding and firefighters to Hayfork.

According to MODIS/VIIRS and GOES, fire is in the west fork of the Van Duzen, and skirting the 2015 scars. I was ready to be done with this one. :unamused: I had to steer my live scanner over to the Zogg yesterday since nobody else was streaming the proper command net freqs. It’s still there, but North Complex CMD is on priority right behind Zogg CMD and Zogg A/G.

5 Likes

1630: Two large columns popped about 30 ago viewable from Red Bluff. A finger off Branch 31 DIV K has taken off and ran right over Dubakella Mtn and is at Hwy 36 just east of Hwy 3 (turn off to Hayfork). I believe that spread is terrain and fuel driven against the wind. The second column was more fuel burning around community of Ruth, and possibly firing ops to protect the Hettenshaw Spike camp. Could just about see a third column for the West Zone inside dog leg they lost over the weekend. It’s also burning west along Hwy 36 up the east slope of Southfork Ridge from Forest Glen, in the South Fork Trinity drainage…

(edit - I was wrong thankfully on Dubakella)

7 Likes

It looks like two columns are crossing each other

7 Likes

It appears I was wrong, thankfully, regarding DIV K last night and going over Dubakella. Whew. IR says it didn’t go that far north yet, still just south, and MODIS/VIIRS has it just south of there too. The column I saw was same alignment, just further out towards Southfork Ridge.

2 Likes

3am VIIRs, 9/29/2020

5 Likes

Does someone have a single map that shows the August North Zone and Zogg together? I’d like to know how close they’re from burning into one another. Thank you!

Zaugust won’t happen. :wink: Closest black to black is 8.3 miles. Closest uncontained fire front to black is 19 miles with some large 2014-15 scars it has to crawl through first…

13 Likes

Awesome, thank you very much :grinning:

2 Likes

Where is this thing going. Heard rumors it ran over 4 miles toward Platina

4 Likes

That’s what I’m trying to figure out also. Red Bluff woke up to thick smoke and very fresh and heavy ash fall over night. It appears it ran east right through the middle fork of Beegum Creek and has reentered Tehama County (sigh). I was hearing references to Beegum Creek at Beegum Creek Road.

Helco tried getting up and over the fire from Hayfork but had to turn back before reaching 36, can’t fly in the soup. DIV I reporting calm winds and tiny dot for the sun, visibility 0.5 to 0.25 mile visibility.

The August has rezoned it appears, South, Northwest and Northeast. The east/west divide is roughly the Southfork Mountain divide (one of the longest continuous ridgelines in North America) with the Trinity River watershed in the NE. Ruth, Mad River and Van Duzen are in the Northwest Zone. South hasn’t changed, nor the CalFire West Zone.

This thing is one south wind event away from a mess at the moment.

5 Likes

There does not appear to be southern wind event in the near future. This may Change as a SW flow starts weekend with a arriving weather front
Onshore flow will bring gradually cooler conditions early this week. Temperatures will start the week largely near normal at the coast, slightly above normal for the immediate coastal valleys and above normal for interior valleys; by Wednesday most of the territory will be near normal, except for the far interior which will be slightly above normal. Onshore flow could be strong enough on Wednesday to bring some drizzle to the coast. By Friday, a shift in the pattern will occur as a front moving into the North will merge with remnant tropical moisture; it is beginning to appear like a good portion of the territory will get some precipitation, especially the North and along the higher elevations of the Sierra, which would significantly reduce fire danger for some time.

11 Likes

High pressure has broken down and onshore flow will continue through the end of the week. This will result in some possible mist or drizzle near the coast tomorrow morning, while dry conditions will exist everywhere else for the next two days. Temperatures will also cool with this flow pattern, and near to slightly below normal temperatures are expected today through Saturday. A weather system is then expected to bring unsettled weather this weekend, with the threat of rain on Friday decreasing, and the threat on Saturday exiting mainly across northern Humboldt and the Shasta Trinity region. As the system exits the region Sunday, breezy northerly winds will develop, and may become offshore Sunday night into Monday. Meteorology will continue to closely monitor this wind threat. Fire danger remains seasonably high as live fuel moisture values are at critical levels in the lower and middle elevations and dead fuel moisture values are at seasonal minimums.

3 Likes

No one’s posted on August complex lately.
Here’s 10/16 update culled from inciweb and others:

Size: 1,030,182 acres (All Zones)
Containment: 78% (All Zones)
Personnel: 3,130 (All Zones

PIO Map NE and NW Zones (10/16)

no PIO map for So Zone on 10/16 (yet). Here is 10/15 map for overall - all 3 zones

Interesting to note: This is Day #61 of this fire (or these fires/complex)! Total acres/60 days = roughly 17,000 per day, for 60 days! Sweet mother of vaporized biomass! :astonished:

17 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Post Fire-Salvage Harvest