CA-SCU-Canyon Complex

Need some disambiguation here. This thread is called “Oso,” which is one of four fires in what is / was the Canyon Unit complex. Now appears on CalFire site to be lumped with even more fires as the SCU Lightning complex, but there’s no thread here addressing this bigger picture. Admin types, can you help?

Edit: Now I find a SCU Lightning complex. Yep, it’s complex.

2 Likes

IC requests:
3 heavy/type 1 copters
Helco arrives and requests:
4 Type 1 Tankers

Fires making heavy push up canyons and ridges in several areas.

16:00 No fills on any tankers, Ops request to keep trying.

3 Type 1 copters were used up til sunset cutoff. Never got the tankers.

Prior to sunset the IC requested Helco to scout for the head of the fire,
believed to be at
37 23.156 x 121 27.2668

1 Like

0700: 25,000 acres update 0800 85,000acrs per CALFIRE.
The number 1 biggest fire in the state.

IAP has 2 strike teams of engines. 3 type 1 copters.

Hard runs and spot fire along Mines Road. Moving towards Sweetwater CDF Station.
Only aircraft so far, Helco and 3 copters.

Helco request 3 S2 tankers 75,76,78 and 2 type 1 tankers (no numbers)

AA freq= 173.825
AG freq= 159.345

It looks like the fight to save downtown San Antone is on, including Sweetwater FFS. Helicopters and tankers right over The Junction.

Portable RAWS is up at Sweetwater FFS. This is now the Canyon Zone of the SCU Lightning Complex.
https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=TR113&time=GMT

Do you have a current ICS 205: Incident Radio Communications Plan that you can share? Thanks

Do you have a current ICS 205: Incident Radio Communications Plan that you can share? Thanks

IAP 19th to 20th shift:IAP_8-19-20 to 8-20-20.pdf (3.2 MB)

They made verbal changes on command to use yesterdays comm plan.

IAP 18th to 19th shift: is too big to upload, sorry.

Diablo Grande community under evacuation order.

Thank You!

102000 combined acres in complex, fire burning up Mt Hamilton tonight.

Burning up Mt Hamilton from which direction? Arroyo Hondo or the San Antone side? Did they successfully defend Downtown San Antone today?

1 Like

My understanding is the mt Hamilton side is the fire from the sunol side moving East. The del puerto side has been pretty limited for info, did hear of 2 civilians burned this evening near the junction
They tried using Sweetwater station for a Lz but 106 couldn’t make it in. Sounds like the station has engines there.

Arroyo Hondo is a major drainage that runs from Calaveras Reservoir up to Mt Hamilton. So it probably ran that drainage all the way up to Mt. Hamilton. I hope the observatory and Copernicus Lookout survived.

3 Likes

Mandatory Evacs for everything east of San Jose this morning and warnings for all of South Eastern Santa Clara County to 152.
Coyote and Anderson areas, thats a big box.

The fire will burn to Hwy 152 and I5 due to the mega size of the fire. There is not enough resources for all of the fires so life is #1 and property is last.

2 Likes

Thank You For Trying, It would not open. Any chance you could try again if you have time or how I could access one?

1 Like

New Evac Warning south all the way to the San Benito County Line and East of Morgan Hill Proper including Holiday lake Estates

https://nifc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=69fca73a82df4fefa7c0e48b66d0899d&extent=-123.2395,36.6849,-119.5618,38.1032

Holiday lakes is under a warning not a mandatory
Everything east of the 2 lakes is mandatory
Have property on the ridge and its under mandatory, ranch on Canada Rd in the Crews burn is mandatory

2 Likes

Here is the link to the SCU Lightning Complex Fire IAP and Maps.

https://ftp.nifc.gov/public/incident_specific_data/calif_n/!CALFIRE/!2020_Incidents/CA-SCU-005740_SCU_Lightning_Complex/

2 Likes