CA-SHF-Lava(3-4?)??

New fire or one of the three lightning fires east of weed is trying to do something.

http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastamodoc/index.html?camera=Axis-HammondRanch&v=fd40729

5 Likes

I believe this is the Lava Incident. Couple acres, making good progress. Rotor wing on its way from RDD

3 Likes

That’s correct, this is the Lava incident. Started by lightning on 6/24.

2 Likes

Seems to be growing a bit

1 Like

http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastamodoc/index.html?camera=Axis-Weed&v=fd40729

1 Like

A couple of thoughts… all based on what I am seeing on the camera…
Most likely burning in lava cap, so it might be really hard to get a line around it. Wondering if they are moving out to more favorable ground to put in line? That fuel type likes to spot and its hard to get around it. It does have more of a base to it and some wind on it…

1 Like

Looks like maybe a spot established out in front…

The town of Weed was founded as a mill location because of strong winds in the area. The wind was useful for drying the logs. As the Boles fire from a few years ago demonstrated, fires here can take off in a hurry. It will be interesting to see what the building high pressure does to the winds this afternoon. This fire could definitely make a run if winds pick up.

Edit: of note, the wind on the fire appears to be blowing from the northwest right now. Typically, winds blow from the south in this area. I’d be watching for a wind shift.

4 Likes

Agree, but I think in the summer under HP it blows mostly from the west in the afternoon. When the HP is breaking down or a wave is going by to the north… the winds crank from the south.

2 Likes

Looks like the spot on the right flank is pushing towards a drainage. The original left flank has not become the head and is pushing. Much wider base and heavier smoke production…

2 Likes

IA started both tankers off Redding heading that way.

3 Likes

Time to order some meals?

6 Likes

Scanner Link?

This one is looking to have some big potential.

Which Cam ?

Weed 1 Cam

2 Likes

ALERTWildfire | Shasta Modoc

1 Like

Current weather in Weed Ca
94 degrees and 15% RH

Winds NNW 5

1 Like

Might be a Fed incident.

SHF listening to traffic SKU is not the ordering point. Federal traffic and terminology coming over the radio.

2 Likes

If its not now, it most likely will be…