CA-SHF-McFarland??

Never good when you’re putting out spot fires under the finance trailer, or the Time Unit has to put on yellows. https://youtu.be/RLJYigWchf0

18 Likes

http://beta.alertwildfire.org/region/shastamodoc/?camera=Axis-Eighmy

Starting to see some activity on the Eighmy cam. Looks like it’s getting some fresh air on it.

3 Likes

It looks like a couple spots taking off out front. This is looking due south from near the PG&E substation on Gas Point.

1 Like

Heads up - the orange here is just filtered sunlight, not the otherwise 800-1200ft flame it would otherwise have to be for this. It looks real convincing though.

Squeezing in last of the MAFFS drops on this for the night. Point protection on structures, back firing around R Ranch, there’s a spot somewhere. AA chitchat thinks it’ll run a few more miles into the valley tonight.

Troubleshooting radio/antenna issues on the live scanner. Both BCT15X’s are deaf to NIFC Commands, or antenna issue. Flipping tables over chasing this down. (isolated to antenna. On a portable VHF repeater antenna/tripod in the yard and NIFC Cmd4 breaks squelch, so embarrassing :man_facepalming: we’ll get there)

8 Likes

On the teams question, does a full calfire IMT have to assist the fed IMT when it goes unified, or can some local Unit experts handle the calfire side of things for the time being (until the wind event blows this down to Yolo…)

No not at all
Unified command has and usually is accomplished with local Unit staff when a federal team is assigned.
If a team is being brought in there is a specific reason ie… zoning extreme Sra/ infrastructure threat that requires extensive pre planning , and sometimes good old politics

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: CA-SRF-McCash

Probably off topic heading up from so ca. Can anyone give me a idea for Basecamp location. I got east of red bluff off 36?

It was at the R Wildhorse Ranch off Hwy 36, but I understand some elements are at the Shasta Co Fairgrounds in Anderson

1 Like

Check your resource order.

4 Likes

Shasta District Fairgrounds. AKA Andersonville

3 Likes

This isn’t a post to chastise you personally, however, you do bring forward a very proper teachable moment and reminder for everyone with your question. Before you get on the road, at the time a dispatch call is made, especially for a planned need order, if the orders aren’t clear and precise, you need to be asking. Some incidents have multiple camps, multiple check in points and multiple agencies using different ordering Contracts. If you don’t verify the specifics up front, that can cause a whole lot of downstream issues and confusion. Your dispatch orders should have all of the correct information, at least as of that moment, if they don’t clarify with whomever your call out came from.

15 Likes

I am at base camp, it is on highway 36, at the R Wildhorse Ranch, not sure where someone got Anderson.

2 Likes

our PIO received an order to report to Andersonville ???

1 Like

A CAL FIRE term of endearment for the Shasta County Fairgrounds as an incident base camp/ staging area.

3 Likes

As of 1000 hrs. today, all ICP activities in Anderson were terminated. All management team members are now back at base camp, which is 6700 W Hwy 36, Platina, Ca at the R Wild Horse Ranch.

1 Like

Additionally, whenever I travel to an incident, I call expanded when I am about an hour away to confirm and update the reporting location. Very important on dynamic incidents.

5 Likes

Incident Base is set up at Anderson, but for Monument.

6700 hwy 36, just left there

1 Like

Just to piggyback off of this, but it’s not a bad idea to call even if you know “where” you are going (especially once you get north of, say, Redding) as there can be issues with the online map routing that will do you wrong. More than once I have heard “Maps tells you to take the X, but that is wrong. Take Y to Z instead.” And, as Murphy is always lurking, you’ll drop cell coverage 15 minutes before you realize you’re going the wrong way.

When I first started I was super hesitant to “bother” anyone at the fire. Having been on the other side for a bit now, it’s much better to have someone call in and ask than to deal with late/lost resources. And, in these times of remote check-in, you might end up giving the fire a head start on your T-Card/Trello.

3 Likes