Webcam link: ALERT Wildfire

1 Like

I-5 and fawndale Rd Per AA240 15-20 acres rapid ROS

2 Likes

Road accessible near the heel per AA

3 Likes

1735, update 40 acres. Fire intensity picking back up the last 5 min on cams

3 Likes

Three S-2’s and T1 tanker working, a medium rotor, and C205 just dispatched 40min into fire.

Fire location (google maps), west side of Blue Ridge, behind the quarry. Not much to do here except run into the lake, unless it squirts out to the west or east. South wind currently coming up the valley. I don’t know if diurnals will come out of north tonight, which wouldn’t be good either.

PGE WX Whiskeytown (ignore the name, the lat lon puts it on Gray Rocks, just on left flank of this fire) has 21RH, S 9G12

2 Likes

Winds will be turning North/northeast after dark. Light North wind event coming in tonight…

3 Likes

Thanks Imet. Also, it’s an SHU fire, despite the forest boundary right in this area give or take a thousand feet. All state DPA below the lake.

1 Like

7pm update
60 acres, ground resources made their way to the fire (very limited ground access). Retardant around the head and right flank. Fire made it to the top of Blue Ridge and slopped a bit (I think that’s where the slop was). TGU sent a dozer at the start, later some engines to cover behind, and now at 7 just sent another dozer immediate need to the fire.

4 Likes

Looking at the cameras tonight, it appears the diurnal winds showed up and that the fire has grown to the SE. it’s been burning active most of the night.

4 Likes

This thing ran about 4am this morning, spotted over Blue Ridge to the SE around 430am and trying to get established it looks like in the very upper canyon of Stillwater Creek, right along the Sec 11/12 line. The Bear Mtn Shasta cam is just below the Bear Mtn Lookout, and can see into the Stillwater canyon area through the trees.

The fire saw the north winds about 9pm last night, thanks @imetfromhotlist . Looks like similar moderate north winds here for the remainder of the day slowing down a bit into the evening. RH will drop down to low teens late afternoon.

Lots of WUI south of this thing getting out of the trees into brush grass and oak woodland. No fire history in this area for last 20yrs.

6 Likes

Is this burning in roughly the same area as the Jones Fire in ‘99? I remember catching it at the Redding airport later that night. Burned about 26,000 in one day under north winds, and back then, that was a crazy ROS! Today, not so much.

1 Like

Negative, The Jones fire burned East of Shasta bear lookout and dry Creek Road until it hit 299 roughly. The way that this is heading into the intermountain Rd. proper has not had fire run through it in sometime

3 Likes

Copy that, thanks for the clarification!

15 minute time lapse on the Bear Mountain Shasta camera, it’s getting really angry already. Gonna be a long day out there.

2 Likes

Has there been an acreage update? I’m sure they’ll be a large order of resources soon.

Let’s not forget SHU has some significant early fall fires Jones is one I recall

1 Like

I agree, other than a small fire right where the head is now, back in 1983, there is zero fire history since 1950 for the entire current and proposed footprint of this. Brush, grass oak woodland, WUI with lots that are not kept up and plenty of man-made material sitting around hiding in tall grass. Jones fire made it west only to Intermountain Road north of 299. Fawn is west of Intermountain scooting right along. This area is one of those nightmare scenarios for SHU that hasn’t come up yet; the Carr, Clover, Dale and Panther chewing through other SHU worst-case areas.

3 Likes

At 9:20 am CalFire reported 800 acres and 5% contained.

Currently air tankers are:
T-93, T-94, T-95, T-96 (S-2)
TNKR131 (C-130)
TNKR15 (BAE 146)
TNKR102 (MD-87)
TNKR162 (RJ-85)
TNKR914 (DC-10)
TNKR911 (DC-10) noticed at 11:13 am.
N178AC (S-64 Sky Crane) noticed as of 11:42 am.
TNKR912 (DC-10) noticed just left Sac 11:44 am. Thanks @Pob904
N163AC (S-64 Sky Crane) noticed 12:12 am.

3 Likes

Add T-912 as well

3 Likes

Multi-cam display:

http://beta.alertwildfire.org/tile-display/viewer/?cams=Axis-BearMtnShasta&cams=Axis-Falcon&cams=Axis-HighlineTrail&cams=Axis-RoundMtnShasta&cams=Axis-ShastaLake1&cams=Axis-ShastaLake2

4 Likes