CA-SNF-Ferguson?? (Was MMU/SNF-Ferguson??)

In 1987 the Grizzly Fire and the Larson Fire merged in Anderson Valley (aka Anderson Flat). They formed the southern component of the Stanislaus Complex Fire. With 40 years of regrowth timber, heavy understory slash, a southwest exposure and mixed older growth the resulting firestorm was one of the hottest timber fires ever observed. The columns topped out at around 35,000 feet (confirmed by commercial airline pilots). The fuel loading is different now but Anderson Valley is still a location of challenge.

4 Likes

Funny that in my 49 years here I have never herd it called Anderson valley until this fire.
I even lived in that area for 17 years.
The complex fire was one hot fire it took years for anything at all to grow back in some areas.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for info. Will check out maps for that rd.

1 Like

Hearing conversations the fire is making a hard push into the Sanislaus NF and the possibility of a 2nd team may be assigned?

1 Like

Probably not the Stanislaus. It would have to go all the way through Yosemite to make it there.

1 Like

The Stanislaus NF is where the slop over was the other day, so it’s got A LOT of room to run with wind and terrain in alignment. The Merced River is the forest boundary between the STF and SNF

2 Likes

It’s well onto the Stanislaus and yeah, lots of chatter of splitting the fire for a few reasons. One being logistics/drive times.

2 Likes

Ned"s Gulch leads to the Grizzly Creeks. Anderson Flat is the level meadow that the FS maps label. Anderson Valley is the basin surrounding it (at least that is my understanding for the past 40 years). The STF is on the north side of Merced River but the canyon has been administratively under the SNF for years. As the fire hits the ridges or works up the drainages, the STF is clearly a part of this fire event. As reference, the Arch Rock Complex burned parts of the eastern STF and western YNP territories. The Stanislaus Complex burned only part way into YNP along the Crocker Ridge area. If the Ferguson Fire keeps marching up Miller and Ned Gulches then Pilot Ridge could become the north end of this event.

3 Likes

Just curious where did you hear that they are talking splitting the fire??

1 Like

I’ve been watching the satellite signature and radar and it’s been romping all afternoon. Might be greeting some downdrafts from thunderstorms to the east.

1 Like

Can you send the link to your data

1 Like

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=local-Tahoe-02-48-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbars=

4 Likes

It certainly looks to have multiple heads or areas of heat on Infrared Satellite.

2 Likes

CIIMT4 members and locals. Chatter and discussions only. No decision.

2 Likes

What is the effect of the weather in the area? Weatherbug shows storms with precipitation in the area

1 Like

Temperatures around the fire were running in the mid-90’s with RH between 30-40% with relatively light winds less than 15mph. Upper level winds were S/SW as shown on the satellite/smoke transport. But the atmosphere appears unstable with thunderstorms in the area, which would enhance fire behavior.

2 Likes

That spot above the word Briceburg in the picture, section 34 out in the BLM land, is that a real spot fire 2 miles east or an artifact?

3 Likes

Artifact. You will just have to trust me.

3 Likes

Assuming Boot on the ground ??

5 Likes